Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
10413311

male dog-neutered trying to hump me.

male dog-neutered trying to hump me.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help you today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions for you...

How long have you had Rockford?

What do you do when he's trying to mount you?

Is he crate trained at all?

Do you know anything about his history before you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2 weeks layin on couch no he was raised by a male then became a family situation and they were afraid for their kids

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Is Rockford neutered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I feel I just got ripped off

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I actually see that now it says he's neutered.

Thanks for the extra information Vickie.

Since Rockford is neutered, then the 'humping' of you he's doing is to establish his dominence over you. This is actually very, very common and both males and females will do this, even if they've been spayed and/or neutered.

Because this can be a dominance issue, the next thing I'd do is start the Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF) training program. In my experience, if done consistently, this type of training offers the biggest results for both dogs and owners. With NILIF, your dog will obey your commands without any sort of physical discipline or frustration. The theory is that you raise yourself in the pack heirarchy by controlling all the dogs resources.

More to the point, you're doing to decide when to give your dog his food bowl and when it goes away. You're going to control when you pet your dog, when you offer toys or treats and when you're going to play with the dog.

I like this training because it works on every dog personality. Dogs who are shy get self confidence, dogs who are easily distracted are focused and shy dogs come out of their shell. Dogs like yours, who tend to be a bit pushy will learn patience and manners.

NILIF works like this: we're going to start by essentially ignoring the dog when he demands your attention. No matter how much he tries to get your attention..whether he's pawing at you, or barking at you or even bringing you things. You should absolutely step over him and ignore him as completely as possible. Don't look at him, talk to him or even make eye contact with him. Keep in mind, you're not trying to be mean to him...you're trying to get him to understand that he can't demand you pay attention to him when HE wants it...with consistency, he'll figure out that you're in charge, regardless of what he thinks. As he figures this out...he will learn that it's not okay for him to try to dominate you.

A side note...he may act up more when you first start training him. He's going to really work hard to get you to pay attention to him when he wants you to, but I promise if you don't give in, it'll be worth it in the end.

Everyone in the house is going to have to take part in these new training rules. Make sure they know that from now on, your dog is going to have to earn anything he gets in the house. There will be no treats, no petting, no anything without the right behavior from the dog. When it's time to eat, he's got to sit and wait before you feed him. If you want to give him a little tasty treat, then make sure he earns it by performing some behavior (could be simply sitting). If you're playing with him, only continue as long as you want, then pick the toy up, put it out of reach and walk way. Consistency is the key!!

The botXXXXX XXXXXne here is that NILIF is going to establish a very clear pack hierarchy in your house with you and any other human in the house in the top spot. It's done without cruelty or physical punishment, but will get the point across. In time, your dog is going to stop doing anything that you wouldn't agree with, and that includes humping you.

This isn't an easy thing to fix...but I have no doubt that with the combination of obedience classes at a training center and your NILIF training at home..you can absolutely get him in line.

I hope this helps!!
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Vickie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa