Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years
53976849

Hi there I have an 11 year old cross breed who is starting

Hi there

I have an 11 year old cross breed who is starting to show her age a bit now. She used to sleep in the bedroom with us, but since her bladder control is not what it used to be, she now has a comfy bed in the kitchen. Unfortunately, she will not stop whining for attention; she goes to sleep fine, but then wakes up around 4am and whines constantly. I have tried ignoring her and I have tried getting up and telling her off each time she does it, but neither of these approaches seem to be working. I wondered if you might have any suggestions - I really need a solid night's sleep now :-)

Thanks
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome to the chat! I am Dr. Altman and am happy to answer your questions today

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Roxxy is showing these signs

Dr. Altman :

Does she need to go to the bathroom or seem uncomfortable at all?

Dr. Altman :

Often at this age we see changes with cognitive function and having issues with this especially at night

Dr. Altman :

CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

Dr. Altman :

In some cases supplementing high levels of fish oil with omega fatty acids EPA & DHA 750 mg-1000 mg daily can help

Dr. Altman :

Others require medical intervention with medications like anipryl, or even mild sedatives to help sleep overnight

Dr. Altman :

Walking before bedtime can help sleep better overnight

Dr. Altman :

Hill's diet does make a food called B/ D through your veterinarian, "Brain Diet" which includes all the nutrients in higher levels to maintain brain function in senior pets

Dr. Altman :

I also see success with medications/ supplements like proneurozone that has helped my patients (also through your vet)

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats in a moment if I see you are still having difficulties with live chat format

Customer: When she was still in the bedroom sometimes she was waking up to go to the bathroom, but others not. I know her hips are uncomfortable - she is on metacam and also get cosaquin treats on a daily basis.
Dr. Altman :

She might require additional pain medication if she is uncomfortable from laying for an extended period of time. This might include medications like gabapentin or tramadol or even considering alternative therapies like acupuncture or laser therapy

Customer: I did wonder if - like peopl as they get older sometimes - she just doesn't need so much sleep. Somebody suggested I try melatonin
Dr. Altman :

That is definitely an option as well

Dr. Altman :

I haven't had a lot of success with melatonin but it definitely worth trying

Customer: Fair enough - is there another more natural sleep aid that you might recommend?
Dr. Altman :

Melatonin is really very safe and the one I would try first

Customer: She weighs about 18kgs - what sort of dose should I give her?
Dr. Altman :

For the melatonin perhaps 1 mg before bed

Dr. Altman :

For benadryl adult formula 25 mg 1 & 1/2 tablet before bed

Dr. Altman :

For the rescue remedy perhaps 1 dropperful to start

Customer: And if it turns out that she's basically just restless and misses being in the bedroom - should I just try to ignore the whining until she gets used to it?
Dr. Altman :

If that were the case I would suspect it wouldn't start early morning at a consistent time

Dr. Altman :

Is she leaking urine? Have you discussed medications to help with that so that she can stay in the bedroom with you? This is common in senior female dogs and there are options to reduce the leaking frequency

Customer: We haven't noticed her leaking, no. And she is fine durin the day when we are at work - so I don't think it's purely the number of hours
Dr. Altman :

Yes this is also common in senior pets unfortunately. All cases I have seen are night time issues only. Very frustrating for all invovled

Customer:

Ah - thats interesting. If I try the sleeping medications, she's not going to wet herself in her sleep or anything is she? She would hate that! :-)

Dr. Altman :

If she is not leaking now the sedatives should not exacerbate things

Dr. Altman :

But I cannot guarantee that! If she does then you need to investigate other options...

Customer:

I guess that makes sense...

Dr. Altman :

But if the options I gave do not work then I would advise discussing adjusting her pain medications

Dr. Altman :

And I always advise trying any new supplements while your vet is open for the first time to ensure if she has any type of reaction they are open to assist you

Customer:

I would love to have her back in the room with us if possible...

Dr. Altman :

I imagine she would as well

Customer:

Haha - yes, I'm sure she would :-)

Customer:

thanks for your help - where does this "chat" get saved so I can check it later?

Dr. Altman :

You should be able to reenter your account and the page should be listed in "my questions"

Dr. Altman :

You can also cut/ paste into a word document or select save after rating our conversation

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything for you today?

Customer:

No - I think I have enough to start with, thank you.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

I truly wish you luck in a successful night's sleep!

Dr. Altman :

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

Would you mind just copying and pasting the whole conversation again - I switched from my phone to PC half way through and don't want to lose what you started with!

Dr. Altman :

In this window? Please give me one moment

Customer:

yes please

Dr. Altman :

11:55 AM

11:55 AM

11:56 AM

11:56 AM

11:56 AM

11:57 AM

11:57 AM

<div class="JA_chatMsgContent"Customerhas entered this chat!

11:57 AM

<div class="JA_chatMsgContent"Customerhas stepped out of this chat.

Dr. Altman says:

11:58 AM

11:59 AM

11:59 AM

11:59 AM

11:59 AM

Dr. Altman says:

12:01 PM

<div class="JA_chatMsgAuthor"Customersays:

12:01 PM

When she was still in the bedroom sometimes she was waking up to go to the bathroom, but others not. I know her hips are uncomfortable - she is on metacam and also get cosaquin treats on a daily basis.

12:01 PM

12:01 PM

Dr. Altman says:

12:02 PM

12:02 PM

I did wonder if - like peopl as they get older sometimes - she just doesn't need so much sleep. Somebody suggested I try melatonin

12:02 PM

12:02 PM

Dr. Altman says:

12:02 PM

That is definitely an option as well

12:02 PM

12:04 PM

12:04 PM

12:04 PM

12:04 PM

12:05 PM

Fair enough - is there another more natural sleep aid that you might recommend?

12:05 PM

12:05 PM

Dr. Altman says:

12:05 PM

12:06 PM

Other options are benadryl (diphenhydramine) at 1 mg/ pound or rescue remedy (purchased at a vitamin store also for people)

12:07 PM

12:08 PM

She weighs about 18kgs - what sort of dose should I give her?

Dr. Altman says:

12:08 PM

12:09 PM

12:09 PM

12:09 PM

And if it turns out that she's basically just restless and misses being in the bedroom - should I just try to ignore the whining until she gets used to it?

Dr. Altman says:

12:10 PM

12:10 PM

12:12 PM

We haven't noticed her leaking, no. And she is fine durin the day when we are at work - so I don't think it's purely the number of hours

Dr. Altman says:

12:13 PM

12:14 PM

Dr. Altman says:

12:15 PM

12:15 PM

12:15 PM

I guess that makes sense...

Dr. Altman says:

12:16 PM

12:16 PM

12:16 PM

Dr. Altman says:

12:17 PM

I imagine she would as well

12:17 PM

Haha - yes, I'm sure she would :-)

12:17 PM

Dr. Altman says:

12:18 PM

12:18 PM

12:18 PM

12:19 PM

Dr. Altman says:

12:19 PM

You are very welcome

12:19 PM

12:19 PM

Customer:

and yes, will absolutely rate the conversation. Thanks again for the advice

Customer:

thanks very much - enjoy the rest of your day

Dr. Altman :

Does that all show up?

Dr. Altman :

You as well...

Customer:

yip - all there

Customer:

thanks again

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome!

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi James,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman