Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I HAVE 5 MONTH OLD MALE DALMATIAN/AUSSIE MIX HE IS IN A CRATE

I HAVE 5 MONTH OLD MALE DALMATIAN/AUSSIE MIX HE IS IN A CRATE APPROX 7 HOURS AT NIGHT AND 6 HOURS WHILE AT WORK DURING THE DAY AND HAS NO ACCIDENTS HOWEVER WHEN HE IS OUT OF THE CRATE AND PLAYING HE HAS AN ACCIDENT IN THE HOUSE EVEN
AS SOON AS 30 MINS OF AFTER WALK AND URINATES OUTSIDE,IS THIS NORMAL AND HOW CAN I CORRECT THIS OR IS IT JUST A MATTER OF TIME TILL HE GETS BETTER CONTROL?

Sally G. : Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.
Sally G. : This is very normal because when he is in his crate there is little movement the more he is out the more the body is used, the more he drinks, the more he forgets that he has to pee due to playing so the more accidents you'll see.
Sally G. : I would when home take him out every two hours on lead, give a potty command each time and back it up with praise, then a special treat for eliminating outside something like a hot dog sliver.,
Sally G. : When you get back inside and know there is the possibility of accidents tether him to you so you can whisk him out to finish going should he start inside the home
Sally G. : Never punish for accidents as this will lead to more accidents because what happens is the dog becomes afraid to go in front of the owner as he will start associating your anger with his eliminating and this can then carry over to outside so, without a fuss clean it up and always praise and reward the good behavior
Hi Rich,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?

Sally G.