Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

after 14 year old poodle goes out to first time in morning

after 14 year old poodle goes out to pee first time in morning we give her a treat. Now waking us up earlier and multiple times a morning crying in order to go out and then get treat.
1. What time cut off food and water to make sure not actually need to go out.

2. Fastest way to cut off bad behavior of waking us up at 5am

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

Does the dog actually go to the bathroom at this time?

Sally G. :

Also have you had a sample of her urine tested for infection or stones?

Sally G. :

food and water can be cut after 6 pm

Customer:

she definitely does go to bathroom the first time. After that sometimes she does, sometimes she just walks away, turns around and comes back.

Sally G. :

If she bothers you to go out and she does not go then no treat. The problem is given her age she may have bladder stones or a UTI that makes her feel the need to go out, so to be on the safe side I would grab a sample and drop it off to your vet and ask them to test it

Sally G. :

If there is an infection or stones she may need antibiotics

Sally G. :

or a change in food

Customer:

Thanks. Will try it

I wanted to thank you for using this site to help you. I am just checking in to see how you poodle is doing. This is a Free follow up that I like to give my customers so it is up to you if you wish to respond. IF I can help you further in the future with any behavior problem you can ask for me by name.

Sally