Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
2361900

having with my sht suz 2 yrs old extreamly hyper dose

having hell with my sht suz 2 yrs old extreamly hyper dose not listen is spitful and agressive verry smart almost human like mischievious vengefull if not happy
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
Can you be more specific with examples of how you think he is spriteful and aggressive?
Have you had casanova neutered (castrated)?
Has Casanova had any obedience training?
Do you let him on the couch?
When did he start this behavior?
How long have you had him?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

spiteful he has his own area and he has news paper to do his potty on and he does no thats where he is suposta go because he will pee on it but he knows that he is not to poop but on the paper he will come up to the gate whaite untill u are looking and poop on the floor while maintaining eye contact and dog grinning then he will wipe his but accrosed the tile floor

he is not fixed

he is not allowed in other parts of the houst except my room and the kitchen thou when in my room he must lay still on the follr usually when not listening

i have had hi sence he was 4 weeks old and bottle fed it recently has gotten worse sence i had to seperate him and my female chiuwowa who was in heat he has not listened sence she season

he has always been defient of me but my husband is something different he is the one he has always listened to

i have bought an active puppy for him to play with but the puppy is still too small

Dawn,

.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. Dogs tend to scoot their rears along the floor when their anal glands are full. Full anal glands are uncomfortable for a dog so they will scoot to put pressure on them to release the excess fluid. Normally the glands are expressed when firm bowel movements pass by the glands. Bowel movements that are not firm but softer than normal will not express the glands naturally.

.

Some breeds like the shih Tzu are prone to having anal gland problems anyway that need to have regular expressing by your vet or groomer. Why the dog might have less than firm feces could be from various causes. It could be that the dog gets fed unusual treats or people food or that the food was switched too quickly. All of these will cause looser than normal stools.

.

Parasites such as worms, or protozoan infections such as giardia or coccidia will also cause loose bowels or soft bowels. These are frequently transmitted from a puppy to an adult dog. The two dogs do not even need to be together since the eggs and cysts can wash off the fecal matter into a puddle and the other dog drink from the puddle. .Basically when a dog has loose stools, it is hard for them to control their bowels and they can not get to their normal place to eliminate. Eliminating outside of the normal area frequently indicates a health issue like I mention. A dog can have these parasites or infections for quite some time as well.

.

So the first step is to get a fecal sample to the vet for testing. The second thing you need to do is to ensure all trace of the odor is removed from the area where he is eliminating inappropriate. Normal cleaners only clean well enough to fool human noses not dog noses. If any trace of the odor remains, a dog will be drawn back to that place to eliminate again. To remove the smell completely, you have to use an enzymatic cleaner and let it sit on the floor long enough to seep into the crevices and cracks.

.

As far as him not listening to you, that can be corrected with some obedience training. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

.

Use paper thin hot dog slices to train with and in no time, he will be listenting to you all the time. Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

.

If a medical issue is not the cause of the defecation on the floor, then you will need to retrain him to the pad. The easiest method is to contain him to an area that is only large enough for him to lay down in one space and the pad in the other part. NO extra room is allowed. It will make him eliminate on the pad. When he does, reward him with a small treat. He will start making the connection with eliminating on the pad with the treat and do it all the time. After a week or so, try expanding the containment area a little and continue to reward for him going on the pad. If he misses the pad, move it back to the small area and start over. This is the easiest way to train to a pad..I do suspect that a medical cause is to blame, so definitely get the fecal check done as soon as possible. Treating that may solve the inappropriate elimination without retraining.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
Hi Dawn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?