Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My dog used to ring the bell at the front door. Now he smells

My dog used to ring the bell at the front door. Now he smells the floor and won't go near the door. Today he sniffs my bedroom and won't crossover. I have to lift him in and out of my bedroom. Very strange. Would you have and answer?!?!?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

Generally when a dog changes like this from something he has always done it is because at the time they did it something frightened or hurt them

Sally G. :

Can you think back as to what was going on the first time you noticed this?

Customer: No I can't. But I have a border who is very jealous of my dog. Maybe she sprayed the floors with something.
Sally G. :

How about static this time of year, are there carpets ?

Sally G. :

Also you mention the boader, could this person have been annoyed at the dog at time it wanted to ring the bell or did ring the bell?

Customer: Yes ......but wouldn't she have gotten used to that. Just have area rugs.
Sally G. :

Where in the home does the boarder have access?

Customer: Right across from my bedroom.
Customer: Both use kitchen
Sally G. :

While I certainly don't want to lay blame as I do not know this person , I can tell you about dog behavior and when something rewarding stops being rewarding or becomes painful or scary they stop doing it

Sally G. :

So when the dog would ring the bell what would happen?

Customer: long story. But she used to have access to living room and would play with kami all night. She wanted me to believe kami just loved her.
Customer: I would always take her right outside
Customer: she is bipolar and in and out of hospitals
Customer: Could it be a mouse in the house
Sally G. :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX rang the bell and the reward was you let her out

Sally G. :

so when she would go into your room what would happen?

Sally G. :

Sorry typo *He

Customer: yes. And if she did something. I gave her a treat
Sally G. :

so that was her reward. Both of these seem like there is no reason for the dog to stop as it was rewarding and pleasant to the dog

Sally G. :

I suspect that something has frightened or hurt the dog that the dog is now hesitant to doing either of these things

Sally G. :

Check out the dogs body language when at your door wanting to come in what do you see?

Customer: this just happened last night. She sleeps with me and wanted to come in but smelled the floor and would not go over the threshold
Customer: Coming in she is fine
Sally G. :

Thank you. A mouse would not do that to a dog, they would pick up the scent and follow it in an amusing way. Is there a step to the threshhold?

Sally G. :

What breed of dog is this?]

Customer: labradoodle
Customer: very very smart
Customer: no step at all
Sally G. :

so a big dog that should not have any trouble with walking through a door correct? You checked the feet to see if something

Sally G. :

in the pads that may have prevented him from stepping through?

Sally G. :

Has there been any changes to your room. anything new?

Customer: i think she is getting to be bipolar
Customer: no a mini
Customer: nothing new
Sally G. :

so the dog is small?

Customer: yes 20 lbs
Sally G. :

who is going bipolar the room mate?

Customer: my dog
Customer: my boarder is bi polar
Customer: just joking.
Customer: Just can't figure it out
Sally G. :

Oh, well the poodle side and the lab side are prone to epilepsy and there are different variations of a seizure

Sally G. :

there are focal seizures where the dog sees things

Sally G. :

and this can last days in duration

Customer: oh no
Customer: really
Sally G. :

Yes, I am afraid so,

Customer: is yt
Customer: oops
Sally G. :

There can be lip smacking , fly biting (with no flies in the area)

Customer: is that what you think happened
Sally G. :

but there are two different things that are bothering the dog, is the bell close to your bedroom door?

Customer: no.
Customer: The bell is in the kitchen
Sally G. :

okay, so then there may be somthing medical going on that causes him to not want to do those two things. This could be pain, seizure,

Sally G. :

or the dog is frightened to do it possibly due to something the room mate did

Customer: so do I just wait it out for awhile
Sally G. :

I would wait watch and take notes. I say take notes because you may find something in common that causes the dog to act this way

Sally G. :

that you may not be seeing at this moment because it just happened last night

Customer: ok thank you sooooo much. I sure will.
Sally G. :

Take note of the body language , is the tali and ears down, are the eyes half moon, is the dog yawning or lip smacking when it approaches these items ,etc.

Sally G. :

The body language can tell you if the dog is frightened , does not really care or if the dog is confused which may be seizure activity

Customer: Tail and ears are definitely down
Sally G. :

So he is scared, something must have happened. again I don't live there so I can't say anything about who you live with and what may have happened

Sally G. :

Try enticing him with treats and see if he will go back to the way he was before

Customer: should I approach her
Customer: probably not
Customer: ok I will. Again Ty so much.
Sally G. :

I don't think it would hurt to ask but ask in a non threatening way, not accusatory just say , Hey have you noticed the dog is not acting right and have you noticed any strange sounds that would cause him to be scared? That type of thing

Sally G. :

She may actually remember something and that will give you the answer

Customer: Ok I will do that
Sally G. :

As long as you are not accusing of anything and seem concerned about the dogs health she should be fine with being observant when she is there

Sally G. :

Once rating is completed I would like to set up a free follow up with you in a couple of weeks if that is okay. I would not rule out medical so if the dog does not improve I would suggest seeing your vet

Customer: sure I would like that.
Customer: And yes Thinking of going to the vet
Sally G. :

okay great. I will be glad to hear he is back to normal with a bit of training

Customer: ok thanks again. I really appreciate it
Sally G. :

you are welcome

Sally G. :

Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Customer: no that is all
Sally G. :

okay have a great day

Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.
Hi Mari,
I am just checking in to see how your boy is doing. Is training helping him back to normal?

Sally