Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
10413311

My 12 yr old dog will not eat. Drinking some water and vomiting

My 12 yr old dog will not eat. Drinking some water and vomiting dark brown bile every hour
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Hi there. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help you with your question about Shelly today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions to ensure I'm clear on what is going on.

How long has Shelly been ill?

Does she get bones, rawhides or people food at all?

Is her belly hard to the touch or soft?

Is she spayed?

Is she up to date on vaccines?

Has she been urinating/defecating normally?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Shelly has been this ill for about 2 days.

No bones, rawhide, ect, no people food.

Belly soft

Spayed - yes, up to date on all vaccines

Urinating, defecating somewhat normal. Urination yes, defecation not normal. Have to rush to door or she does not make it.

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Jim...I have a couple more questions...

When was the last time she had blood work at the vet?

Does she have any underlying health issues you're aware of?

Is she on any medications or supplements?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Blood work done 3 months ago at her 6 mo checkup.

Not underlying issues we know of other than age and joint pain.

She takes Sentinel on the 15th of ea month and is taking cosequin DS 1x a day. Been taking this for about 3 months.

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much for the additional information Jim. I really appreciate it.

The dark brown vomit you've described can be a sign of many things, but the big one that we worry about is a bleeding ulcer or a upper gastrointestinal bleed. The fact that she's been vomiting this material for two days is very worrying, so getting her in to see a emergency vet as soon as possible is the key to her making a full recovery.

Since she is a geriatric dog, there's also the possibility she has something like an abdominal mass going on that may have ruptured, causing this dark material to be vomited.

If this had only been going on for a few hours, or if she were a younger dog, I would have recommended fasting her for 24 hours and then feeding a bland die to see if it helps, but since it's been going on for 2 days and she's geriatric, I really feel like the best thing to do is to have her seen by an emergency vet tonight so they can do some x-rays and possible blood work to find out exacly what is going on.

If you're not sure where the emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: XXXXX XXXXX plug in your zip code. They'll tell you where the closest one to you is.

That being said, if you don't have an emergency vet in your area, you can continue to monitor her at home today, but you shoudl absolutely give your vet a call in the morning and have them take a peek at her.

I hope she's feeling beter soon.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am completely satisfied with your assessment. I do not think emergency care tonight is going to prove beneficial. He vet will be getting call 1st thing in the AM. They have always been very receptive to allowing critical visits. Again thank you for your help.

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
You're very welcome Jim.

Please do me a favor....even after you rate/accept my answer tonight, please let me know how the vet visit goes in the morning.
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Well the news is not good. She apparently has a mass around the stomach/intestine area. Vet believes this is causing the nausea/vomiting. She has a diseased spine, disc crystallization. I believe we are at the point of necessity and quality of life. Thanks again. We have to make a decision. I cannot see going to the extreme of more tests and imaging. She is just very uncomfortable and I do not want her to suffer.

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that Jim. I was truly hoping for the best.