Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

how can I train my shit-zu to potty on potty patch from the

how can I train my shit-zu to potty on potty patch from the real grass

Hi Crispy,.My name isXXXXX have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

.What have you tried so far ?

Have you already bought the potty patch?

Is there a reason for wanting your dog to eliminate inside?

How old is your shih Tzu?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I put him on the porch with the potty patch when the weather is bad or 0 weather or snowing witch it isn't doing yet he is 2 years old we had him on the pads when we got but now he is broke from the house he will hold it until we take him out that is why I am trying the potty patch

Thanks for that information. Sadly, some dogs just do not like the potty pad and do refuse to use it. Some ideas to make him start using it would be to put a little urine or fecal matter on the pad so he smells it there. That may help him learn to use it. Another way is to enclose the potty patch in a gate or other barrier so there is only room for him to either lay down next to it or be in it. No extra room. Then start first thing in the morning, putting him in the enclosure until he goes on the pad. When he succeeds in going on the pad, reward him with a tasty treat like a hot dog slice or liver sliver. It should be a special treat and not one he gets often.

It may take him all day before he gives in and goes on the pad, but don't let him out. If you let him out, he will just learn to hold it longer. If you hasn't purchased it yet, I would have suggested another option and I'll still tell you about it especially since it is on the porch and not in the house proper. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform.

My clients who live in apartments on top floors or ones that are gone long periods of time really like this solution. It stops a dog from thinking it is ok to go on material other than grass and dirt. Sometimes dogs that use paper or pads or other materials think that carpet is ok to eliminate on as well, so we try not to confuse them. .In any case, If you enclose him every day with the pad, he will have to use it eventually. I think the longest I've had a dog hold out was 2 days when left enclosed in an area with pads. You need to leave him in though until he goes. This includes feeding and watering him in the enclosure.

So I would try and catch a little of his urine and put it on the potty pad and use the enclosure method. It will work faster if you combine methods.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response.If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I give up on the potty pad now I am trying to train him to go on a potty patch that looks like grass I just ordered another that smells like grass hoping he will go to that

If you can catch his urine such as sliding a shallow pan under him as he urinate and put some on the potty patch, it will go a long way to help him understand that you want him to eliminate on there.
Another option that many clients have used is to create an area where the ground is protected and does not get wet, snowed on, icy, etc. Some use a canapy type covering, others have created a raised garden bed with open space underneath for the dog to use in bad weather. One woman created a "poop tent" and markets it to other owners. See it here:

I really was hoping you had not ordered the potty patch since reviews do state that quite a lot of dogs won't use them. Many have to use an attractant much like using your own dog's urine. On a good note, it does use a grate like platform with the grass on top, so if it doesn't work, you can always use that to lay the sod on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried to catch his urine on a pad he is fast & little sometime I can get a little on a pad but am wondering if it is enough same way with poop.when I tried putting pads down he started tearing them up should I give up are keep trying

Doris,.I believe I suggested moving a pan underneath him when he was urinating to catch some of his urine. Catching it with a pad wouldn't achieve the same purpose in my opinion. You can get some of his fecal matter when he eliminates outside and use that. I thought you were planning on using the potty patch though I suggested a piece of sod instead of the patch of fake grass that comes with it. I do not like pads since dogs tend to play with them and get confused over where they should be going.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will do the pan it may be a few days before I can catch enough he is not one them that will stand long enough for surprises like this one the [pan]

Doris,.Give that a try and let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I will try longer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did you tell me at one time that I could use poop to encourage him to use the pad or patch how much of it should I use

Doris,.You only need a tiny amount. It is the odor of it and not the quantity. If you have too much the dog will want to eliminate elsewhere, so just a tiny smear is enough.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try that 10/30/2013 than I will let you know at a later date if that will the meantime I would like the cost for your expertize I don't want the cost will be so great that I will have a heart attack.Doris

Doris,.This is still related to your original question, so it is covered with your original payment. So no heart attacks today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you like I said I will let you know at a later date if I can make this happen with Bently