Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

tiny Matilda is 5 months old pomeranian, is a lovebug and gorgeous,

tiny Matilda is 5 months old pomeranian, is a lovebug and gorgeous, but she has a shrill frequent yappy bark, is willfull, her nervous system responds to any stimuli negatively and she annoys my housemates, wakes them up and as much as they adore the cotton luffball who loves and kisses everyone, she wakes everyone, including me w her barking. she also refuses to pee and poop outside, no matter how much we play and walk, she makes all over the house.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 months ago.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

Where did Matilda come from? Have you had her since she was a young puppy?

Sally G. :

Hello?

Sally G. :

Chat shows you as being offline. I will change to question and answer mode and when you are next online you can answer my question above and we can take it from there

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello I am sorry Chat is having problems so we can continue this way Why are you using wee wee pads if you want the pup to go outside?
What do you do when you find a mess in the home?

Where did you get your pup from and how long have you had her?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

As for your questions, Matilda came from a petshop in the West village, called Le Petit Puppy. She is chip installed, is registered with a pedigree club other than AKC, forget the name bec all the papers are w my ex boyfriend whom I had to leave in a hurry.

The woman who owns the shop deals with with the same breeder for a long time and I've met many people who got their babies from her on the streets of NYC, all totally satisfied w the cuties.

the Pedigree certificate hasn't arrived yet, but the owner said her dad was a champion (of what I don't know) there were 4 puppies in the litter, 3 girls one boy. she was confined to a playpan in nyc and has a cosy sherpa bag which is her favorite place to hide (go home Matilda), so that's home. I got her 0n the 4th of september and when in the city she did her her pees and poops 90% on the paper. important to add thar the a couple of days after we got her my ex put her on thje coffee table and she jumped and broke her front paw. the cast prevented regular walks and has been a hindrance to early housebreaking, because we were asked by my vet to curb her movement. Doesnt help much because the moment she's out of confinement she runs like a the energizer bunny, smiling and kissing everyone. she also barks sharply when she hears the movement of people in the adjoining rooms, is terrified of anything big like tyhe broom or hairdryer or even the her brush.

please get back to me I'm waiting for you online

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Because of the broken leg the vet had asked me to try and keep her inactive, so we started on the wee wee pads.now she had the cast changed to to a soft but thinck bandage and I saw the last xray a week ago, and she is better but not fully healed.

I kept the wee wee pad just in case, but am taking her out since she runs like crazy (doesn't bolt off and always keeps me within sight) but I figured since i cant restrain her I might asd well tyake her for long walks. she never poops or pees when we're out.

Thank you for that information Sarity. Reputable breeders do not sell to pet stores so you have been handed a line.
You can request further information later if you want to discuss that issue.

Since the pup came from a pet store much of your problem originates from there. The restrictive movement due to the injuty means leash walk to a potty area then back inside the home for rest.
When it comes to wee wee pads I do not believe in using them because the dog does not have the mind of a human and cannot continue to discern the difference between the pad and the carper or other flooring that covers your home so eventually they begin to make mistakes and those mistakes then lead to that ares smelling like a wee wee pad which leads to more mistakes. If you are to use an indoor potty I suggest a litter box for dogs or a grass patch. If you want the dog to go outside then pick up the pads, clean the floors with a cleanser made specifically for dog urine and keep a watchful eye on her cues that she needs to potty. IF you can't catch her in the act there is nothing you can do, if you see her squatting then you can call her name or clap your hands to interrupt her and whisk her outside to finish. Put a command to the act of her going potty and continue to repeat the command even while she is eliminating so she associates the command and act together. Once done give the praise but also have with you as special treat, one she will only get at this time, something like a cheese chunk, hotdog sliver or chicken sliver. This will actually have her want to go outside just to get the reward afterward.

Inside the home: for the most part dogs do not like to eliminate where they eat and sleep, however pet store puppies sometimes have trouble with this but it is worth a try. After you have cleaned the ares with a special cleanser then start to sprinkle kibble and treats in that ares so she learns it is an eating place not a peeing place. You can also leave a small bowl of water there for her as that will also make it an eating area.

Keep her confined to a crate (with food /water) when you cannot watch her 100% of the time or she will sneak off and have more accidents
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

would be all good and doable,and It's just what I did with my now dead angel Pomeranian Freddy (he died of a massive heart attack 2 yrs ago 1 month after my husband died of cancer at age 38.

Freddy was the the most cherished dog at the Good Dog Society, and he brought a woman out of a come. he was very zen, always smiling and had a rare but deep bark. His passing at 6 and a half was devastatating to me and the patients he served at Mount sinai hospital. Matilda is very different.

She is far more hyper, she barks in a shrill sound (a lot) and when I leave her alone to go for a moment she wakes up the whole whole house, where I rented a room to escape an obsessive ex boyfriend. We are now in Woodstock NY and I brought her with me when I left midtown NYC 2 weeks ago.

I never used peepee pad for Freddy, he learned by positive reinforcement to only eliminate outside. I taught him in 2 days.

He also came when I called, he did everything perfectly and I don't choose to compare Matilda to him, since its unfair, but the little girl is not an easy case. she is a bit nervous and jumpy, and she tinkles lightly when she meets anyone new, all of whom she wants to kiss and play with.

then I walk her, she does nothing, comes home and poops and pees anywhere. I just removed the pad, used the enzymatic cleanser all over the floor.

BTW, she eats raw food twice a day but has water available always.

I thought this could put her on a poo schedule

Well what she is displaying in some instances is submissive urination when someone greet her. This would be a personality thing that needs to be worked on. The best thing to do is have everyone ignore her for 15 20 minutes after they arrive then when things are settled they can wait for her to come to them then give a pet and ignore her again.She will need to grow out of this but you can help her strengthen her self esteem by daily positive obedience and this should help with her barking activity as well as any separation anxiety activity that she is displaying when you leave her alone for a moment.

When you train positively she always succeeds which builds confidence so this is not necessarily to train commands she knows already as much as it is to boos her. Also training a down stay on her bed and building up the time as you move further and further away will help her learn how to be alone. There are steps to take for separation anxiety and I can direct you to a site for more information and suggestions to save time here.
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/separation-anxiety

You may want to try a DAP collar or diffuser as this works will with young pups , you can find these at the vet office or pet store.Go with the original DAP not an imitation

DAP Collars
and diffusers

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/dog-appeasing-pheromone-dap-canine-appeasing-pheromone-apaisine/page1.aspx

Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Hi Sarity, I also wanted to send you this link on teaching speak and quiet so the dog knows the meaning of both. I would add this into your daily training.

Training quiet and speak
** http://petcaretips.net/teach-dog-stay-quiet.html
Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vtn8NhofOw

I will also send you a free follow up in a few weeks to see how you are making out:)

This is sent as an information request so you are not prompted to rate again. If you need my help in the future you can request me by name and ask that the question be held until I am online.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I deeply need to address my special situation. This puppy came from a highly recommended pet shop, and I've seen their dogs 2-12 yrs after the purchase.
and they were reportedly excellent dogs. She buys all her poms from the same breeder and has a good reputation in NYC. the puppies at the shop were cared for, played with in the play pen and religiously papertrained. so I'd like to address my real concerns, soiling all over the new house, yapping loudly , not coming when called running around like a crazed little thing, then becoming all mellow and soft and pliable, Doctor Jakyl and Mr Hyde. she has a cast on her broken front paw bec she jumped off the coffee table and broke two bones, so she should be kept as still as possible, but the ideas the trainer had have been tried by me daily
thank you, I am sorry you feel I did not answer your training needs. I did tell you how to stop the barking by teaching the dog speak and quiet, I did tell you how to stop the eliminating in the home by keeping the dog contained and putting food in areas you have cleaned as well as getting the odor out of the flooring.

Paper training is all a pet store can do as there are no employees to take the dog outside like when you have the dog in your care.

As for coming when called , I did not see that in your original question, you expressed anxiety over barking and her separation of you as well as eliminating when people approach her as well as eliminating in the home. I did respond on what to do for all of that. To have her come reliably you will need to train her a firm recall and this site can help.

Clicker training recall video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1krg3g-myic

consistent training is what is going to calm her down however you cannot train when she is in the midst of a situation in which she is not listening to you , you must first train when she is calm and in a non distracting place then you build her up to the excitment places gradually once you are successful in the quiet places. She has a learned behavior that she needs to unlearn and only daily training will stop it.

She will not be able to be a therapy dog until the age of one so you have plenty of time to get things in control.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

THANKS

ONLY PROBLEM W CONFINING THAT SHE IS SHARPLY VOCAL AND I SHARE A HOME W STRANGERS TEMPORARILY, HAVING HAD TO MOVE AWAY FROM AN OBSESSIVE ABUSIVE BOYFRIEND.

ID HAVE TO BE SITTING CONSTANTLY NEXT TO HER PEN TO NOT ANNOY THE HOUSEMATES.

AS FAR AS THE ELIMINITING GOES, I KEEP SAYING AS WE GO OUT, GO PEEPEE, GO POOPOO, AND THE ONLY TIME SHE DID I FUSSED AND PRAISED AND TOLD HER WHAT A GOOD GIRL SHE IS.MATILDA POOPOO OUTSIDE, GOOD GIRL, TREATS AND KISSES.THAT WAS THE MEMORABLE OCCASSION!!!!

IN TRUTH, BACK IN NYC,SHE WAS ELIMINATING 90% OF THE TIME ON THE PAD,BUT SINCE MOVING TO THE COUNTRY, WITH MANY MORE NEW PEOPLE TO GET EXCITED AND DISTRACTED ABOUT, PLUS A FAT DOG AND CAT WHO ARE LOCKED UP IN THE OWNERS ROOM, SHE HAS LOST HER MANNERS.

ALSO, ONCE MORE, IF YOU COULD CHECK OUT THE DIFFUSER WEBSITE, I'D APPRECIATE

I

There may be something that she is not used to in the country. Since you mention that she is anxious then I would think different things/noises scare her in the country and though you had made a big fuss it is important to continue but again try to use a treat she will only get at this time. It seems by what you say she has only gone once outside so that tells me she is not taken out enough or she is not being watched inside the home enough to catch her in the act and then show her the proper thing to do.

If she is an SA barker she will bark regardless of whether you crate or not and will bark if you are not there with her so I am not sure what the difference is in the crate vs. when you step out of the house. Either way she will continue to bark until you can get all of the above trainings in place. There is not overnight cure for any of her problems, they will all take time to be addressed, but again daily training will help.

IN NYC at the time you left you feel she was 90% trained on pads, my take is that she was eliminating around the home 10 percent and had taught herself a behavior due to the confusion between pads and carpet/flooring. At least the grass patch or dog litter will feel more natural as the outdoors would. But again you are teaching her to go inside the home unless you put the items outside the door. Possible putting them closer to the outside of the home will give her a bit more stability if you are standing there with her. She will have the comfort of knowing the door is right there.

I would try to really key in to what is going on around you and observe her behavior, such is she nervous by something outside. Sometimes with young pups a gust of wind can make them nervous enough to forget why they are out there to do in the first place

You can buy the dap diffuser on Amazon here
http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-Diffuser-Single-Refill/dp/B003E71E06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382212276&sr=8-1&keywords=dap+diffuser

There is also a CD called "through a dog's Ear" which does calm them. I have used these with my dogs for noise phobias so it is possible if you play this in your room with the door closed she will chill out a bit.
here is the site for these on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_14?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=through%20a%20dogs%20ear&sprefix=through+a+dogs%2Caps%2C238

I would not rule out medication to help ease her anxiety while you train so you can talk to a vet in your area about prescribed meds or you can try the over the counter melatonin. Melatonin works in conjunction with what the brain already makes but does not make enough of.
I believe I gave you the site above with dosing but here it is again
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx