Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

I have a male Boston Terrier from the SPCA who lefts his leg

I have a male Boston Terrier from the SPCA who lefts his leg and urinates against my curtains. How do I stop him and get rid of the odour ?

Hi JaCustomer,

My name isXXXXX have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient. .

How are you using vinegar and the footsake spray?

What other dogs do you have?

Do you allow him on the furniture?

Is it only the curtains that he urinates on or does he get table legs as well?Is he neutered?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jane

I have a 4yr male bulldog, 2yr female boston terrier and 9yr female Chihuahua.

I use vinegar and footsake straight from the bottle, It is not mixed with anything else.

No he is not allowed on furniture.

Yes he lefts his leg against the patio furniture and table.

He was neutered by the SPCA

I have had him for 11/2 months. He comes from the SPCA. They say he was picked up on the road.

Thanks for the addtional information. It is helpful. Usually when male dogs exhibit this kind of behavior it is related to marking behavior but if he hasn't ever been house trained, he may just be urinating. A urinary tract infection can also cause male dogs to urinate inside as they can't hold their bladder as easily. Dogs that are spayed and neutered often do develop a urinary tract infection after the operation.

Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

If it is not a UTI, then rehouse training the dog might stop the behavior. For this I would suggest crate training. It is very effective and works well at teaching a dog how to hold their urine. You can read about it here:

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that he needs to go out.

You also need to clean with an enzymatic pet odor remover and not use what you are currently using. Vinegar smell much like urine to a dog and is not recommended to clean up urine. The Enzymatic cleaners break down the protein to totally remove the odor and not just enough to fool the human nose. If you don't remove the odor completely, the dog will be drawn back to the place to urinate again. In addition, you need to be sure it soaks as long as the urine did to reach all of it and break it down. Nature's miracle is a good choice.

You can also leash him to a human so he doesn't have the chance to lift his leg inside. If he starts to lift his leg, you can then give a short tug on the leash and a firm NO so he understands, lifting his leg inside is unacceptable. You should also reward him when he urinate outside.

If it is marking behavior, obedience training can help because it establishes you ad the boss and as boss, the house is yours and not his, so he won't be as inclined to mark it as his. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Hi Mandy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Benji. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jane

Benji has settled in with our other dogs and our routine. I did follow you'r advice and now he goes out with the other dogs. Thank you so much.

Mandy,.Thanks for letting me know and happy holidays to you.