Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
2361900

My Maltese was potty trained, after he got neurtered, he doesnt

My Maltese was potty trained, after he got neurtered, he doesn't use his potty pad and will pee all over the house, he uses the potty pad to poop on but he does half on the pad and half on the floor, please advise.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Amalvin,.My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. .In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient. .How long after getting neutered did this behavior start?Have you reprimanded him when he had a urinary accident?How long has it been since he was neutered?How old is he?Is the only thing you have tried is keeping him on leash and taking him to the potty pad when you think he has to go?Before neutering, he always went on the pad?Has he had an exam by his vet since the neutering?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lucky is 6 months old, it only took me one week to train him, I got him when he was 10 weeks old, and he went on his pad consistently after training him, even when I wasn't in the room, he never had any accidents. It started a couple days after he was neutered, he got neutered on 9/14. I took him back to the vet on 9/28 and they took out the stitches, I guess because of the collar he got a very bad ear infection and was given medication for it for 7 days starting on 9/28. Yes I reprimanded him by telling him he was a bad dog, then I would put him in his crate. He will pee on the floor in front of the potty pad and poop on the pad and floor. lt seems like he is mad that I got him neutered. He has not pooped on the carpet but if I don't keep him on a leash, he will pee anywhere. Yesterday, I had him on his leash and he looked right at me and peed. Please help!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Adele,

.
Thanks for the additional information. It could be a few different things. The first thing is that dogs that are spayed and neutered do seem to develop urinary tract infections rather often. So there is the possibility that your dog has or is developing a urinary tract infection. You might request that your vet do a urinalysis to check that. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake.
.
A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. The inappropriate urination would be one symptom. You would need to determine if your dog might be drinking more or urinating more often than before or if there are other symptoms.. .Another possible cause is that he is maturing into an adult dog. They become sexually mature around 7 months of age, so he is at the right age. Around that time, dogs will frequently start marking their territory. Usually they will urinate around the house and lift their legs as well. If your dog is doing this only near his pad, then it is probably not marking behavior. But I still wanted to mention it.
.
If he is urinating around the house, then it could be marking behavior. In that case, continuing to keep him leashed and near you will help. Just any time he goes to lift his leg inappropriately, you will give a short tug to get his attention and a firm NO, then take him to his spot and see if he will go. If he does, reward him with a tasty treat like a hot dog sliver. If he doesn't go in about 10 minutes or so, go back to monitoring him while he is leashed. If he has a favorite place other than near the pad that he is urinating at, and you notice him passing it by, reward him for not urinating there again with a good tasty treat.
.
I also need to mention that any place he has urinated inappropriately needs to be cleaned with a good enzymatic cleaner. Regular cleaners fool our noses, but do not clean well enough for a dog's nose. The fading odor will actually draw the dog back to eliminate their again and strengthen their scent marking. So be sure to use an enzymatic cleaner and let it soak in as long as the urine did. Since they also urinate up for the most part, be sure to clean the wall, chair leg, etc .
.
If he is always almost on the pad, then it may be a case of one leg being on the pad and him not realizing that some of him isn't. Many owners of dogs that are doing what you describe put the pad inside of a low container or tray so there is a physical edging that the dog has to step over, so they know if they are on the pad or not definitely. It does seem to help with that issue.
.
If there is no physical cause and it isn't a case of marking behavior, then you may need to start house training all over again. Since he trained early the first time, you might want to train the same way you did before.
.
I also want to let you know that obedience training can help stop marking behavior as well. It is because you establish yourself as the boss and as the boss, you own the house. Expanding the dog's territory by taking long walks and allowing him to urinate along the way can help stop marking behavior in the house as well.
.
I'm going to go ahead and give you a site that is helpful for obedience training. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
.
'If your dog does not have a urinary tract infection, you can start feeding and watering your dog on a set schedule. Keep track of the time you feed and water and then when he eliminates. You will see a pattern develop such as he defecates an hour after eating (just an example) or urinates right after drinking. Once you see this pattern, you can be sure to take him to the pad or even outside at those times when he should need to eliminate. It will help him relearn to eliminate either outside or on the pads.
.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have
..
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years