Anna
Anna, Pet Trainer
Experience:  40 yrs. training pet dogs and performance dogs in obedience, agility, herding, tracking, and therapy.
6012901

In the last six months after having all dogs love me for 60

In the last six months after having all dogs love me for 60 years, several dogs have
growled and snapped at me who are otherwise very benign and friendly dogs.
I am sad and frightened that I might have a disease that they sense.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with many years of experience in the field of dogs. I'm sorry to hear of your concerns. Dogs can sense certain conditions through their sense of smell. They have been trained to alert their owners of impending epileptic seizures, low blood sugar, and heart problems. Some dogs have been trained to sniff out cancers. You can read more about these skills here:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5183290/ns/health-pet_health/t/there-doctor-or-dog-house/#.UlThpiT4tsc

But before you decide you have some horrible disease, you need to be aware that dogs can smell very faint odors and react to them. A minor health condition could cause them to react strangely. So could an unfamiliar odor on your clothes - a food, another dog, some other person's scent, cologne, etc. The possibilities are endless, including many that would never occur to we humans.

To ease your mind, it would be best to make an appointment with your doctor and tell him/her of your concerns. The dogs may be upset about something totally unrelated to your health, but if something is wrong, it would be better to catch it early, than to let it drag on. I hope it will turn out to be nothing.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Anna,

Thank you for your answer. I have read the articles about their being trained to sniff out diseases such as cancer. This actually happened to me for the first time , as I think about it, longer ago than 6 months. But just

in the last year or 2. It came to a head this weekend when I was at an animal rescue fund raiser and 2 different dogs reacted this way to me. I do have a check-up scheduled even though I am asymptomatic.

Could it be medication related?

Linda

Hi Lynda,

I'm glad to hear you already have an appointment scheduled. Yes, it could certainly be medication related. dogs may be able to smell medications in your body through your breath or even your skin. Their noses are that sensitive. Here's a great article that explains:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-sense-of-smell.html

Anna

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know cats are not like dogs in that sense but can they also smell

medication or disease in some way?

A cat's sense of smell is much better than ours, but doesn't begin to compare to a dog's. There is some anecdotal evidence that some cats can detect illness and medications, but no studies have been done on cats. Because of that, we have no solid evidence on cats' abilities.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much Anna.

You're very welcome. I hope all will be well. Have a good night and get some sleep.

I've posted this as an information request, rather than an answer, so you won't be asked to pay again. I don't really need any information.

Have a good night and get some sleep.

Anna