Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
2361900

I think my dog is having issues adjusting to our new place

I think my dog is having issues adjusting to our new place and not having a companion anymore. When we go for walks, towards the end, she won't come back inside the apartment. She lays down and wont budge. What can I do??
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jacustomer,.My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. .In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient. .What type of place did you move from?i.e. house to an apartment?Did the old place have a yard?Was the companion left at the old place?How long are her walks?Did you go for walks at the old place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive my answers the other night? I never heard back from you??

Yes we went from a house to an apartment. Yes she had access to a yard in the past house. Her old companion is at another house. We walk 4 plus miles a day now. We did not do much walking before.

Please don't tell me I just wasted $15 on this service...

Alex,

.
If you scroll up you will see that there are not responses from you other then the one you just left, so I did not receive any. I'll review my questions and what you just answered to see if I am able to answer now and respond again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No wonder....

So to answer your questions...

We moved from a house where she had a yard to a apartment. The other dog did stay with my family in another house. We walk on average 4 miles a day. And no we did not walk regularly before.

Thank you Jane

Alex,

.

I think you have given me enough information for me to respond now. I think it is more likely that your dog misses having a yard where she can hang out more. Often a dog will miss a companion and spending more time with the owner and going places like pet stores, dog parks and other interesting places can help alleviate the loss of a companion. The loss of a yard though takes away her territory. Most dogs enjoy hanging around the yard since there is a large amount of odors in the air and they can listen to the noises of the neighborhood and monitor what is happening.

.

Moving into an apartment means she doesn't have that opportunity. I do think there are things you can do to help regardless of which is the cause. The first thing I would suggest is enroll her in a group obedience class. This will allow you to socialize her in a group setting where the dogs are under a human's control. This will also give you the opportunity to meet other owners and perhaps find a potential playmate or companion for her to spend time with. While going to a dog park might help as well, many times the dogs are unruly and not well behaved and you can actually have some bad experiences rather than positive ones.

.

I would look for a similar aged male Labrador if possible. They are laid back dogs and will likely be a good choice as a playmate. Of course, at her age, they won't be doing a lot of playing but will likely still enjoy each other's company.

.

You might also schedule 15 minutes down time at the end of your walk to hang around the outside of the apartment building and relaxing so she has a chance to investigate what dogs are passing by and visiting what is now her new place. I suspect if you give her 10-15 minutes at the end of the walk, or let her do this before leaving, she will be more likely not to balk at going inside when you are ready to.

.

It is sometimes hard for dogs to cope with the change of having a yard to being in an apartment, but the walks help and just a little changes in routine might take care of it without even needing the obedience classes..The other thing you should do is to feed her upon your return from the walk. This way she has something to look forward to upon her return. If her belly is full and she is outside enjoying not being cooped up in the house, she really has no motivation for coming inside. It is likely you also have things that you do upon your return, so when you come inside, she also doesn't have your attention anymore either.

.

I'm going to give you a site that discusses how to train your own dog in obedience. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have ..

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years