Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I HAVE A young dog wh seems to only like doig his besoinbs

I HAVE A young dog wh seems to only like doing his toilet needs on home territory the problem is when we show him he gets tetchy and I think it is because he needs to do pipi or poo but

holds it how can I persuade him to relive him self ? its is the only thing I can think of that makes him in a bad humeur  as itrs the only time he is bad temper(ed to peop)le and even the judge  h"e also doesnt like being teased with titbitd after someone did this to him and he became nasty afterwards szo I am trying to get him t(o see that it( wrong to be like this by giving him a titbit  from peoplke who approach him to make him realise people arent going to tease hi however as shiosw I am sure he is tense because he need to releive himselfand wont  on strange ground

Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

This is not uncommon in some dogs, however it should not suddenly put them in a bad mood. I had a dog that would not go all day when acting as a mascot but it did not put him in a bad mood. I suspect there may be something else going on.

Can you explain the dogs body language when people come up to meet him?
Does he try to back away at first or does he act happy to see them?

What do you mean by tease?
Is he comfortable or having fun in the ring at all times?
How does he carry his ears and tail when people approach? Are the ears back against the head? Is the tail tucked , up in the air or straight out?
When do you see this attitude from him the most?
Is there a place beside the ring that he displays this like out on a walk or is it only around the ring? Have you tried keeping him out just as long in other situations that he enjoys?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

by teased the dog war offered a titbit and ir was nit given yo him and he then jumped abd ripped the mens jactet not much just alittle mark on tyhe material this last weekend the jughe did more or less the eame thing with a cake to make him move gis ears ge dropped the cake and then picked it up dog barked and jumped no bite just bark when people approache it depends on the person some he is fine with childrebn he licks and is happy

itys when people make a move to touch him or be'nd over him

and is just arround the area bt dog cxages and ring in tyhe ring before the man teased him he was o;kj

He goes to obedience classe's and there is no problem ; in fact he works very well it was one of the trainers that teased him but the next time he saw him he was offered a titbit and took it with no problem

I think he flattens his ears must admit he is so quick and I havent really noticed as we are usually yalking to the person I ca&n sometimes tell by his stare that he is not happy and talk to him to take his attention away but am not always quick enough

it is usually at a show it happens he could possinly be stressed as we usually have long journies to make as the distances are so great between show grounds etc

he iqs a super dog at home and with our friends tooand obeys me woàrking with strangers at club or here at home he is very quick to learn and very intelegent the club agrees <with me on this and has suggested he trys his first test next February

I want to undo this traite as he is basically super in all ways apart from this unfortunate tra

Thank you for that information. He probably does well with your trainers because he has come to know them. In a ring there are different people all the time, as well as outside the ring. It sounds to me like he might be fear biting. This happens when they feel like they are backed into a corner (figuratively) with not way out. A ring is a corner and it is uncomfortable for the dog, as well any approach over a dog is seen as a threat and this may be why he is lashing out. You may or may not be able to change this. This is something that is build into a dog and unless you can change your location , turn it into a ring like atmosphere,and people that come in contact with him around your home first so he gets used to it, the travel time from place to place is not going help because it is too much time between changes of people and places so he has learned one way to act in strange places. I don't know if you can set him up with a ring atmosphere with strangers on a day to day basis so it becomes normal to him and nothing to fear.
Greeting people on the street is not the same as a ring atmosphere so if you are taking him around the club or home he will associate the good behavior/ actions with strangers in the club/club space or at your home not necessarily in a ring in another town. It may be something the dog does not enjoy/ or is too nervous and so he acts out. Then you have to ask yourself the question "Is it fair to put this well behaved dog in an atmosphere that stresses him and causes him to act out?"

Many times what humans want from their dogs is not something the dog can actually handle, so I would suggest that you discuss this with the club and ask them to be honest about it. Also have they seen the dog in the circumstance to which you speak because that is very important. IF they have not then making judgement on that may be a bit difficult because they are only seeing him as he is in an environment you have gotten him used to.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i have thought to try and help him by giving him treats whilst we are involved <with outhe rpeople and also ,giveing people treats to give him he is always dready for a treat so perhaps if he feel he is going to het them when someone comes near him do you think that may help

IF HE TAKES PART IN OBEDIENCE TESTS IS IS GOING TO ACT THE SAME WAY, that would really be a shame as he enjoys working with me and I work him without the lead with no problem

He may or may not not act the same way, the environment may be a bit different in obedience test, the judge may stand off to the side and just give direction and not come to close to him, there would be many factors to look at as it pertains to similarities.

I understand why you are having people give him treats, but it may not be the people so much as the environment he is in that is causing the problem.When you are out in public I will assume he is on lead, in a ring there are barriers that can be see by him, these barriers may represent in his mind a room blocked off.

I would continue to expose him to as many different people and environments in a positive way as one day a light bulb will go off in his mind and make sense to him.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.