Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
2361900

I recently purchased a new car. My dog was fine with it until

I recently purchased a new car. My dog was fine with it until I purchased backup sonar detectors that has a high pitch. I turned them off, but he is terrified of getting into the car now. When I do get him in, tries to sit on my lap and I have to push him away. I am very gently with him, but he needs to get over this fear as I take him to the dog park every morning, but again, getting him back into the car is not good. He is 8 years old and I have had since he was about 2 months old. Any suggestions? Thank you. Pam
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. .In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient. .What breed is your dog?How long has it been going on?What have you tried so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

terrier mix. 1 week. Treats, leash and gentle persuasion. Sometimes lifting into the car. I will be patient. Thank you. Pam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also disengaged backup sonars. having dealership change horn and pitch, but even with the sonars disengaged still is terrified and i mean terrified. Pam

Pam,

.

Thanks for the additional information. It is not unusual for a dog to be affected by an unusual noise. It is unfortunate that he has transferred that fear of the noise to the car itself.

.

Unfortunately, training to correct this is not a quick easy thing and will take time . If you absolutely need to take him to the park each day, then training won't be effective since you won't have time to desensitize him to the car. I will give you some information on how to work with him to get him over the fear.

.

The easiest quickest way is to use a dogs desire for food. If he will approach the car but not get in, then start feeding him right outside the car. After a week or so, put the bowl on the floor board so he has to put his paws up to eat the food. Gradually move the food bowl a little further in until he has to jump in. Do not shut the door. Allow the dog to make the decision. If the dog will not approach the car, start the bowl off a distance from the car and move it closer over time.

.

After he is eating consistently, then you will start shutting the door. You can also uses some extra special treats like hot dog slices to sweeten the experience for him. It usually doesn't take too long for the dog to want to get in the car and realizes that the noise is no longer there.

.

There are some things that may help and be more immediate in nature. The first would be to use a crate. Have the dog enter the crate away from the car and then you can just lift the crate and put it into the car. Another option would be to put the dog into a doggy seat belt. You can lift the dog into the car and secure him in the dog seat belt. This will keep the dog safe and out of your lap as will crating. It may also help by a process called flooding. This is where a dog is exposed to what it fears and realizes that it doesn't need to fear or just can't sustain the fear for extended periods of time. I am usually not a fan of flooding but since your dog loved the car before and it was an adverse experience that started this, then it might work if you can take the unsafe running around the car out of the equation by crating or using a seatbelt..A dog should be in an approved seat belt anyway when traveling in a car. They are relatively inexpensive and a definite plus. You can also try a dap collar. Dap collars use pheromones similar to the one a nursing mom produces to calm her pups. these collars have been proven effective in cases of noise phobias and other anxiety situations. This doesn't use medication so if you decide to try a tranquilizer later, that could still be done.

.

Hopefully one of these techniques or training will help get him back to his old self. I'd also remove the offending device just in case it makes a noise you can't here even if not being used.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is a dap collar, flooding and what kind of tranqs? Thanks, Pam

Pam,

.

A dap collar is a collar that emits pheromones that calm dogs. You can see one here:

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortraining/gr/DAP-Dog-Collar.htm

.

Flooding, as I mentioned, is placing the dog in the situation where he displays fear. Your dog is scared of the car currently, so placing him in the car and keeping him in there for a period of time would be flooding. Your vet could prescribe a medication called Acepromazine, which is a tranquilizer. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acepromazine-promace-aceproject/page1.aspx

Another prescription drug would be Xanax but I have to caution you not to give any prescription drug to your dog without consulting your vet first.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/alprazolam-xanax/page1.aspx

.

.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
Hi Pam,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?