Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

Why does my 1 year old German Shepherd Male continue to mark

Why does my 1 year old German Shepherd Male continue to mark his territory by pooping in the house and on the patio. We have a young female as well..who behaves very well

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem

Sally G. :

What have you tried so far? Is the male neutered and if so at what age did he get Neutered?

Customer:

No he is not neutered but we plan to do this in 1 weeks time he is just over 1 year now

Sally G. :

Thank you. Neutering will cut that down by almost half, but the fact that he has already started to mark means he may never be able to be trusted. Usually to prevent marking dogs are fixed by 6 months

Sally G. :

With markers they can never have free roam of the home as when you are not looking they will mark. What you can do is if he can't be watched by someone , contain him to a samller room

Sally G. :

with his bed , water and food dish

Sally G. :

Dogs do not like to eliminate in small areas where they eat and sleep

Sally G. :

Pooping in the home is not marking so if he is only pooping you may be dealing with a health problem

Customer:

He is a beautiful pedigree so we were planning on breeding him but have changed our mind thus the delay in neutering. So if marking is only urination then I believe we have a health problem. Maybe his diet (we make food for them and then mix it with grain free kibble) We make rice, beef, carrots and garlic and parsley in a big pot and it lasts about 1 week . What do you suggest we feed him?

Customer:

His poop tends to be very soft or runny

Sally G. :

I would stop adding garlic as that is toxic to dogs, I do have a site if you will give me a minute that will tell you proper ingredients for dog food to make at home

Sally G. :

homemade pet food by Donald R Strombeck DVM

http://www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/index.htm

Sally G. :

To firm up the stool feed a couple tablespoons of pure canned pumpkin, but you want to get a vet check and make sure there is nothing else going on

Sally G. :

The dog could have colitis

Sally G. :

Parasites or prtazoa also cause soft stool

Sally G. :

What happens when you walk in and find he has messed, what do you do?

Customer:

We show our displeasure by saying Bad Dog to him but thats about all

Sally G. :

Thank you for that information. This can actually do more harm than good and in the end make he start hiding from you to have a bowel movement. Generally dogs that have been properly potty trained do not want to eliminate in the home , this is why I suspect health. I see this breed is also prone to LPI which is an inflamatory bowel disease , this would have him having accidents and it is possible your vet will want to change to a special diet

Sally G. :

Here is more on this

Sally G. :

You can tell if it is health by keeping him in a small room for a couple of days and feeding him in there. If he has an accident I would look to your vet for a diagnosis as it is more health than training

Hello Lee,
I am just checking in to see how your German Shepherd is doing. This is a free follow up so I will leave it up to you if you wish to respond:)

Sally