Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.

our German shepherd ,19 months old, was living with us in the

our German shepherd ,19 months old, was living with us in the house since he was 2 months old, now we are looking for the house with a backyard and expecting a baby, my husband is convinced to keep the dog outside. what complications in the pet's behavior may accrue if its done?
Hi there. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions....

Why does your husband feel the dog needs to stay outside?

Is Hector crate trained at all?

Does he get regular exercise?

Has he been near kids before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there. Your answers didn't come though...can you try again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, my husband feels that a lot of shading is not healthy for the coming baby,

yes, hector gets plenty of exercise, 1-1,5 hours of walk or play with other dogs on the field in the morning and in the afternoon,

he is crate and basic obedience trained.

he is good with people and children .

Is there a website or scientific info online that may convince my spouse to change his mind and shoe him that it is not a good idea to separate the dog from the family in any way?
Thanks for the extra information. I really appreciate it!

It definitely sounds like Hector is well trained and well socialized. Because of this, I suspect he'll adjust fine to sharing the house with a baby. Especially since he's crate trained, so he'll be able to escape when he's feeling overwhelmed.

As for the shedding...there is something you can do about that.

Some dogs are prone to shedding more than others and unfortunately the only thing you can really do is to brush them regularly to remove the dead and excess hair. One product that I really love and that works really well on long haired and short haired dogs is something called the Furminator.

You can find it at your local pet store. And there's more information on it here:

There's a video on how it's used here:

If you have a small dog like a Maltese or Shih-tzu (and many others), you can also have the dog professionally groomed into something called a 'puppy cut', which cuts their hair to about 1/4 inch all over the body, which cuts down significantly on shedding.

Bigger dogs, or dogs with a double hair coat like huskies or GSDs can go to a groomer as well and ask the groomer to strip out the undercoat as that's the one that does the most shedding.

I do think that you should attempt to have the dog in the house with you. Since he's shared a home with you for as long as he has, it's possible that he'll become destructive or upset. Dogs don't understand why they've been banished to the yard, so I think you should try getting him to not shed and see how it goes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also,how properly should we introduce the baby after hospital to Hector?

How to maintain his interaction and behavior with the newborn?

Of course, you should always monitor them when they're together...but eventually Hector will view the new baby as an extension of you and will repspect the little one as much as he does you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How about the walks? Is it ok at first to take Hectog separately for a few months until the baby grows?
If you want to take him seperately that's fine....or you can take him along with the baby in a stroller.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?