Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years

why does my 7 month old pup still wetting his and our beds.he

why does my 7 month old pup still wetting his and our beds.he get plent of love excercise and is never left alone for long.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name isXXXXX have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
Is he urinating on the beds when you are home or when you are gone?
Is he neutered?
Is he squirting a little on the items or urinating vast amounts on the bed?
Do you allow him on the furniture and your bed?
Is he a standard size (large) poodle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
when we are at home.in large amounts.not neutered.he is not allowed to stand on bed or furnture he is a standard (large)poodle
Yvonne,
.
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. Neutering may help the situation. Male dogs at this age frequently will urinate on objects to claim them as their own. They are becoming sexually mature and this marking behavior can become a problem.
.
If he is drinking excessively (much more than 1 cup per 8 pounds of body weight a day) as well as having inappropriate urination, then your boy might have a urinary tract infection, so you need to consider that as a possible cause as well. It might also be a case of him not having a clear way of letting you know he needs to go out. Just in case that is the problem, putting a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach can help. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that he needs to go out. Only you would know if this might be a cause.
.
It most likely is a case of marking behavior especially since it is specific places like beds. You'll have to train him not to mark his bed. You can leash him, put the bed down on the floor and watch him closely. The minute he starts to lift the leg, give a quick short tug on the leash and say "NO" in a firm low tone of voice. Dogs don't listen to high-pitched commands as in the dog world that means playtime. Low tones like growls are used to command a dog.

Continue to watch him and each time he tries, correct him with the short tug and NO.. You should start noticing him looking at you before he starts to lift the leg. And it shouldn't be long before he looks at you and doesn't do it, when this happens, praise him and give him a small special hot dog slice treat. I'd give him a couple of days on the leash and giving him treats for not even attempting to mark the bed before I move on to the next step.

.

At this point I'd still keep the leash on him and watch him, but you shouldn't have to watch him as closely. Just be prepared in case he slips back into his old ways. If he doesn't slip in a week or so, it should be safe to remove the leash. Until he's learned that marking his sleeping place is not allowed, I'd have him sleep somewhere beside in you bed. You can even keep the leash attached and slip it over your wrist so it wakes you up if he moves.

.

You will do the same thing with your bed as well. In addition, Any place the dog has urinated on needs to be cleaned with an enzymatic pet odor remover. It needs to soak in for as long as the urine did. If you clean with something different, it does not totally remove the odor and actually will draw the dog back to the area to eliminate again. You need to let it soak in because the original urine got down into the bedding. If you just clean the surface, the odor still remains deep in the object. We can not smell it, but the dog's sensitive nose can and again, it draws them back to eliminate again.

.

Between training and cleaning, it should take care of the problem. Obedience training can also help since a dog usually only marks around it's territory, so if you establish the house as yours by requiring absolute obedience from him all the time, he should stop marking around the house as well. It also has the added benefit of keeping him under control over the next year or so. Between 7 and 18 months of age, most owners of unneutered male dogs experience a lot of behavioral issues. Continuing obedience work with them during this time can help prevent these issues.

.

The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF) as well. It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years