Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
2361900

What methods can I use to train my dog to stay off my sofa

What methods can I use to train my dog to stay off my sofa?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
No additional information is showing at this time.
How old is your dog?
What breed is your dog?
What obedience training has the dog had?
Is this for when you are home or when you are gone?
What have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
4 yrs old,beagle,basic training by me, I used to work as a dog trainer many years ago and I am working daily with Basil daily on sitting, staying, coming, heeling. I adopted him 4 weeks ago and he is a very calm, we'll behaved dog except for getting up on furniture when I leave the house. I have tried small mouse traps inside small boxes with the hope that they will go off when he jumps up but the traps are not reliable in going off. Probably how I am setting them. I do not want to use a bait and admonish method because Basil is very sensitive given a history of some abuse by the previous owner. I rescued him and that owner gave me Basil. I thought about baiting and then using a soda can with pennies that I toss on the sofa. Don't know if this would be too traumatic for him.
Margaret,
.
Thanks for the additional information. The first step is to make sure he knows he is not supposed to be up on the couch at all. So start with not letting him on when you are home. Keep a leash on him and if he goes to jump up on the couch , give a short tug and firm, low toned NO. I'm sure as an ex trainer, you know the importance of the low toned voice. I'm not sure what mode of training you used, but I use a balanced approach which means reprimands for unwanted behavior and positive rewards for desired behavior. I used extra special treats of hot dog slices and liver slivers. So when the dog no longer tries to jump up on the couch or on your legs near the couch reward him with the special treat.
.
I agree that a dog should not be encouraged to do it on one hand by the use of "bait"and then reprimanded, though I do know some trainers that use that method. Once the dog is not attempting to jump onto the couch and pointedly is not jumping even near the couch, you will need a way of stopping it when you are not home. One method is to put a strip of tin foil on the couch. Dogs and cats tend to not like the feel of the foil against their nails and stop getting on. A very effective choice is a scat mat. It does deliver a low voltage shock if the dog gets onto the mat. He won't associate what happens when he jumps up with you since you are not there.
.
They also make indoor fence products that use receivers and collars (both shock and citronella) that can be used to keep a dog away from a specific area when you are not present. You can see one here.
.
In many cases, both the indoor fence and scat mat can be turned off after a short period of time. The dogs learn and do not need it to be on anymore. I have a dog that used to bark excessively when we were gone only. We were able to correct it when we were home. We used a bark collar and only had to use it for a couple of days before we went to tone only. Now it only has to be in his sight for him to not bark.
.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years