Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

my 2yr old male cane corse props his leg up and pees on me

my 2yr old male cane corse prop's his leg up and pees on me when i pet him.....it pisses me off so bad. why is this going on?
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
Is your boy neutered?
Are you male or female?
What obedience training has Sire had?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Male

Not fixed

Basic obedience

Jimmie,

.

Thanks for the additional information. I would get him neutered if possible. It can help with issues of dominance and definitely with some marking behavior. It sounds to me like he is claiming you as his own. Dogs will mark items and people to claim them and let other dogs that the item or human is "theirs". They will also mark people or other dogs to show dominance as well..In this case, it would be impossible for me to determine which is the case. Cane corso as a breed are pretty strong willed and require a strong willed owner and really need continued obedience training on a regular basis. Due to this, I am going to suggest you get him back into an obedience training class to ensure he sees you as the boss and the dominant member of your household. Dogs do not mark the boss, so continued training will help stop the behavior. Before you can get into class, the following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

.

I'd keep a leash on him as well, and when he starts to lift his leg when close to you or inside at all, give him a reprimand. A reprimand is a short tug to break his concentration and a firm low toned NO. Some owners will even crate a dog immediately for a period of time as further "punishment" for the behavior. Remember though that you need to also provide positive reinforcement for when he doesn't attempt to urinate (mark) you. So keep some liver slivers or hot dog slices handy to reward desired behavior.

.

With stopping the marking behavior when he exhibits it, rewarding good behavior and reestablishing yourself as the boss with obedience training, you should see improvement within a few weeks.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Hi Jimmie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sire. How is everything going?