Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
2361900

I rescued my Shih Tzu 2 years ago and he has always been very

I rescued my Shih Tzu 2 years ago and he has always been very good about going on his wee wee pad if needed between walks. 3 months ago I moved in with a roommate and he still uses his wee wee pad but every now and then he will pee on my roommates bed but mostly he will poop on her clothes..always in the same spot. I use natures miracle and simple solution to clean the areas thoroughly. Even though he has gone when walked he will still go on her or her sons clothes. She does have a dog of her own that is kept crated in her room when she is gone. I just don't understand why he does this and how I can correct it when he is still going on his wee wee pad 90% of the time
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
HiCustomer
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
Is your roommate leaving their door open when they leave?
Is it happening when your roommate is gone for the day?
Is he allowed on your bed?
Is he allowed on the furniture?
What obedience training have you done with him?
Does he do this when you are home or only when you are gone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my roommate occasionally surgery open when she leaves but I shut it before I leave

it happens at night while we are sleeping and she has left her door open

he is allowed both on my bed and on the furniture I've never had an issue before moving in with her and her son

I personally have not done any obedience training as he always listens to me

Customer
.
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. There are a few different options. You can attempt to train him not to enter her room ever. This is actually not that hard to do, but the problem is that if he only does it when no one is around or they are sleeping, you will not be able to reprimand him for it.
.
To train him to not go into her room, you would put him on a leash and take him close to her room. You can have some tempting things in her room. Perhaps a treat or bowl of dog food in there or even a toy. The minute he gets close to the door, give a corrections in the form of a short tug and a firm low toned NO. It will likely take a reprimands before he ignores the door and walks away from it. When he does that, reward him with an extra special treat like a hot dog slice or sliver of liver. These are high value treats and seen as better than the objects in the room.
.
It won't be a quick fix and you will likely need to train for a few weeks before it really is effective, even then it would be a good idea to have a few other things in place as well to ensure he doesn't enter the room.
.
One thing that is very effective is a walk through child gate. They automatically close behind you and effectively block access to an area. This is an effective solution and a quick fix. It can be a permanent solution or a temporary solution while you train.
.
Another training tool is called a scat mat. It effectively keeps a dog from crossing an area or off of things. It does use a mild shock and would need to be taken up before her dog walked on it. She would also need to step over it or have shoes or slippers on when stepping on it. You can see one here:
.
A scat mat could be used in different places to train the dog not to enter those areas. Usually a dog will learn quickly and the mat can be removed.
.
Of course, you have the option of containing your dog to a smaller area or crating your dog when you leave or at night time which will also stop the behavior. I also want to let you know that there are medical causes for a dog to lose control of their bowels and bladder. One is a disc issue and Shih Tzu's are prone to them, so you might have that checked as well.
.
I do understand that you have been cleaning with the proper type of cleaner but you also need to be sure that the cleaner soaks into the carpet or betting as long as the urine or feces were on it. This allows the cleaner to reach everywhere the urine did to break down the protein and remove all the odor so the dog is not drawn back to the area. Any clothing should also be washed with the enzymatic cleaner as well.
.
I hope this information is helpful to you and provides you with several different suggestions to help correct the situation. I hope you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for the tips on how to keep him out of the room however she would like to have him in the room at times and I still don't understand why he's doing it since he's only done it a handful of times and always goes when he's walked or on his potty pad...guess there's no easy way around this except to enforce to ger not to call him in when I trsin him not to go in

Gentry,
.
You can train him to only go in when invited, but you can not do that until he has been trained to not to enter. Then you will need to have a specific command that allows him to go in. That is the only way to not confuse him.
.
Dog generally eliminate for a few different reasons. One is because they actually have the need to eliminate or as I mentioned have a medical issue. The second reason is to claim the object or space as their own. So it might be that he is attempting to claim the home as his own. Then there is the possibility that her dog has had some accidents in the house and yoru dog can smell the odor from them and is drawn to eliminate or mark over the old odors. It is difficult to say for sure. Males do tend to try and claim territory especially if they are coming into an area where another dog lives.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ziggy. How is everything going?