Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

My wife and I adopted a 5 yr old male Wheaton terrier who was

My wife and I adopted a 5 yr old male Wheaton terrier 2 wks ago who was stray in NY and in a rescue facility for almost 4 months. We elected to adopt him enough though they said he had nipped two handlers. We have had him two weeks and subsequently adopted a mate for him, a one yr old female Airedale terrier. The dogs get along great on walks and in the home but we had an incident last Wednesday morning. While walking both dogs last Wednesday morning the 1 yr old Airedale broke loose from her collar and ran off. I became frantic and started yelling, screaming & crying as the dog vanished. The 5 yr old Wheaton sat near me on the street and when I tried to grab his leash, which had fallen during this cris, he attacked me and severely started biting my hand &arm. I was able to bring in to the door our our home where my wife let in him the home. The 1yr old Airedale was spotted on our property so I got her back . When the 5 yr old entered the home he sat and then attacked my wife's hand as well. We ended up getting control and crating both dogs and then seemed medical attention for our wounds. What now, how to u reduce the fear aggression, biting in this 5 yr old Wheaton terrierthat seems right at home in our home with his mate???

Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 months ago.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

why do you feel it is fear biting?

Customer: Brooklyn, the 5 yr old, only severely bit me & my wife after I was in cris mode, due to the other dog breaking loose. I was yelling, screaming & crying. I believe that Brooklyn was in cris time not knowing what to expect, being a rescue dog, and was either going to flight, freeze or fight. He went into freeze mode and then fight mode by biting me and then my wife.
Sally G. :

The reason I ask about fear biting, although I can understand the incident that happened with you I do not understand why he bit two shelter workers. What else did the shelter tell you about this dog? Or is there no history? What is her body language like when approached by someone?

Sally G. :

sorry * his body language

Customer: The shelter explained that he had nipped two handlers that were trying to feed and put him back in a cage. The only other history we know is that animal control picked him up on the streets on NY in May 2013 and then the Sean Casy Rescue took him in as they are a no kill shelter. Brooklyn seems to have been somewhat trained as he knows the sit, down and stay commands. When he is approached by others is friendly as he sniffs the people.
Sally G. :

Thank you. You may or may not be looking at fear, he may be kind of possessive if he bit the workers while they were trying to feed him. That is my concern. Although the action with you could have been due to the situation. How is he if you try to take toys or food away from him?

Customer: We were told by our veternerian that it would take a long time and energy to rebuild a trust issue between Brooklyn and us.
Sally G. :

are you able to take things away from him such as food bones or toys without a problem?

Customer: When he plays with toys he is very possessive and would growl if you ride to take it away. He did nip me once when I tried to get near him while he was eating. I was told never to get between a dog and their food.
Sally G. :

So he is possessive not fearful

Sally G. :

he does not want anyone taking what he thinks is his

Customer: He does like it when I give hi treats. He sits patiently hand gives me his paw before I give him a treat
Sally G. :

in the situation with you it could have been over excitement at that situation , but the fact that you can only give to him and not take away so for this you want to use the nothing in life is free training and you want to train daily in a positive method

Customer: How do you overcome this fear/possession angression
Sally G. :

Please read above

Sally G. :

The nothing in life is free training means the dog gets nothing without working for it, meaning his food. All toys bones food dishes go up in a closet for now

Sally G. :

I will direct you to a site that goes over this and explains why and how it works

Sally G. :

secondly you will need to build the trust through positive obedience trainign

Sally G. :

training

Customer: That makes sense but what about the fear anxiety and the biting issue. My wife adores him but is definately scared.
Customer: Also what is he trying to do when we walk him and all of a sudden he starts biting his leash and going in circles. This last ya couple of minutes before he stops.
Sally G. :

It sounds like he has multiple problems, the biting at the leash can be play or it can be stress, the circling can be a compulsion. We do not know anything about his past but this is an energetic breed which needs lots of things to do

Sally G. :

Once you get going on commands then put a stop to the leash biting and circling before it becomes an issue worse than it is

Sally G. :

What I want you to do is:'

Sally G. :

the NILIF diet, clicker training which is a positive method and because food is involved with clicker training it will go hand in hand with the NILIF training

Sally G. :

Train him several times a day in short sessions so you seem consistent to him

Sally G. :

I suspect he has not had a lot of consistency in his life so he does not know how to react to things

Customer: Whe do I find information on clicker training & NILIF training
Sally G. :

I will send you links that will take you step by step and one to videos so you can see how it is done.

Sally G. :

just give me a moment to pull those up. The clicker can be bought in a pet store for about 3 dollars and invest in a treat bag for your belt because you have to reward the action right after the click, don't try fumbling for stuff in your pocket:)

Sally G. :

Once you have rated my answer I would like to schedule a free follow up with you to see how things are going or if you need more help with this problem. Should any new problems arise, you can open a new question and request me if you wish for me to help you again.

Clicker training/positive method training

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Nothing in life is free

** http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/training.html

Sally G. :

I believe you will find that eventually the dog sees all good things come from you and from that a bond will develop

Customer: On a walk, do we reward him when he does his business with a cookie or treat?
Sally G. :

does he go anyway when you walk him or are you giving a command to have him go?

Customer: He usually goes anyway but I have applauded him when he goes so quickly, especially in inclement rain
Sally G. :

what I would do then is put a command to it as dogs can learn to go potty on command and it comes in handy if the dog becomes distracted by something they you give the potty command and redirect him back to what you want him to do, then yes you can click and reward

Customer: When he starts biting the leash and going in circles, should I give the command to sit and reward him with a treat if he does?
Sally G. :

You will want to keep him moving forward so this is where your Leave it and heel command come in. He may or may not stop biting the lead if he is in a sit, the leave it command when taught properly means leave everything alone and put your attention on my to await the next command

Sally G. :

To teach leave it which you will see in the training site, you offer a low value reward such as a plain biscuit from one hand tell him to leave it and then give him a high value reward from the other.

Sally G. :

eventually once the command is learned treats are phased out

Sally G. :

or the dog becomes dependent only if food is involved

Sally G. :

It is okay once he learns the command to give a reward one time and then no reward the next two times and stagger it so he never knows if a reward is coming but will obey in the hopes that there will be something tasty coming his way

Customer: So in this instance try to keep walking forward with a taught leash even though he is trying to DANCE and bite the leash?
Sally G. :

First he has to learn the commands, start these commands off lead in the house so he learns them there first , then you take him outside to more distractions like the back yard on lead. If he bites the leash give a command, show him the reward and just wait for him to stop then he learns that only when he obeys he gets the praise and reward.

Sally G. :

Clicker training is about letting the dog figure out what you want

Sally G. :

so they will try anything to get that reward

Sally G. :

you ignore behaviors you did not ask for and reward those you did ask for

Sally G. :

You may also find success in buying some Grannicks bitter apple and spraying the leash as dogs don't usually like the taste or smell

Customer: Any other thoughts on that severe biting issue when the other dog got loose
Sally G. :

That is extreme for a dog to do that damage, only time will tell if it was a lack of trust, fear, possession or alpha. But he lets people approach him without incident. When you hover over a dog, reach to pat over the head, or stare at a dog they are all seen as threats to them. So to the unstable dog, when you bent over to get the lead with all the confusion in the yelling and fear you displayed he may have felt threatened at that time and so he lashed out thinking you were bending over him to do something

Sally G. :

Dogs don't think too far ahead, they react first

Customer: Any other suggestions?
Customer: Any other suggestions
Sally G. :

I would start from the beginning

Sally G. :

give him time to get used to the training.

Customer: Thank you very much
Sally G. :

you are welcome.

Customer: How do we rate now?
Customer: Sally
Customer: weShally we can sign off now
Sally G. :

I am sorry, I forgot to un- lock a button. you should be able to rate now and I will get that follow up going. I'll set it up for three weeks as by then you should be seeing some change. The follow up will go to your email automatically so there is nothing you have to do on your end until then :)

Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.
Hi David,
I am just checking in to see how things are going with your pup. Hopefully you are seeing some changes in him.

Sally