Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My 1-year-old Yorkie goes absolutely wild with barking when

My 1-year-old Yorkie goes absolutely wild with barking when the phone rings or we put our 2 older dogs to bed in their crates for naps or at night. Why? What should we do to stop this? I'm afraid she is going to hurt herself when she throws herself against the room dividing baby gate we use.
Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Generally when a dog has a bad behavior or a behavior we don't want to see we put a command to it so that the dogs learns to only show that behavior when the command is given. In this case the dog should be taught the difference between speak and quiet. you would teach speak first since she is doing that already, reward her for speaking only when you have asked for that behavior. I will direct you to a site that will take you through teaching this. It won't be an overnight success since she has this learned behavior for so long but continue to train and she will get it. You are telling her no bark but are not giving her something that she can do instead, there is no command after to redirect her, this is why such commands only interrupt the behavior but don't stop it. '

So to recap, you always want to praise and reward the behavior you have asked for and ignore it if you have not asked for it. Then teach her what she can do that will please you instead of barking.

Once you have rated my answer I would like to schedule a free follow up with you to see how things are going or if you need more help with this problem. Should any new problems arise, you can open a new question and request me if you wish for me to help you again.

Training quiet and speak
** http://petcaretips.net/teach-dog-stay-quiet.html
Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vtn8NhofOw