Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

Dog Breeder/Trainer Question: I have a 7 month old male pup

Dog Breeder/Trainer Question:
I have a 7 month old male pup that was neutered a month ago. His history is that he went from his mom at 9 weeks to his 'mom' with his sister (she took both sibs) where he stayed until he was 5.5 months. At 5.5 months his 'mom' had to send the siblings back to his original owner (the mother dog's owner - which is me, BTW). In that 5 week period he was neutered (his sister spayed) and a new home found...just for him. In the new home he has been slightly aggressive, and did actually bite the 6 year old dog that became his new 'big brother'. He bonded quickly with the husband but was growling at the wife and didn't even have the slightest inclination to bond with her. Today they had to return him as his behavior did not improve over the weekend. I clearly need to 'rehabilitate' this fella but I don't know what could be bothering him. His sister, who is still with me, is fine and showed no such behavior to the couple when they came to get her brother (she is a bit more excitable, though, and they wanted a calmer dog). I have not reintroduced the brother and sister since he came home a half hour ago, as I wasn't sure if it was a matter of he'd never been away from his sister. Funny thing is that once back in the house, he not once growled or nipped at the wife that he'd been hostile towards all weekend (I do believe her, just thought that might mean something to an expert). What do I need to do for this otherwise sweet boy who needs my help if I am to find him a perfect forever home?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Have you temperament tested the dog?

What preceded the bite and the growling at the wife? Were there toys, food , etc around?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We have not tested him nor did the new/former owners. ---The wife didn't share with me what was going on other than they were trying to break him of his 'hesitancy' (for lack of a better word). She was tempting him with treats, sweet talking him, even just sitting on the couch and reading her book while seemingly ignoring him.

the first thing I wold do is temperament test the dog which you can do easy enough as this will gauge the dog's personality. Without knowing the problem or what preceded the bite and lack of bonding it is difficult to actually give an answer as to why it may have happened.

Being away from the sister would not have anything to do with this pups actions, however if he is calmer, it may mean he is a bit fearful so if the wife approached him in an upward manner though innocent it could cause a fearful dog to react and bite.

Do you know how to give a temperament test?

Also do you have the time to train this pup in obedience so that the next person that comes along can get a list of commands the dog knows?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do not...I assumed it was something I would need to pay an expert to do until just now. I am willing to do whatever I need to help Rascal. Havanese are known for their amazing personality and I just want for Rascal to be as happy as a havanese can be...

I will direct you to a site that will tell you how to temperament test. You can print it off and test the dog yourself. Just be sure to be honest becuase I am sure he is near and dear to your heart but you want to do the best thing for him.

I will also direct you to a site that will take you step by step in training as well as one to videos in that same training.

What I am thinking is that maybe the women was giving the dog treats at the wrong time which can become a marker for bad behavior. In other words if she was giving treats and soft talk to him at a time that he was growling then she rewarded that action probably without knowing it.

If you need more help with this hit reply, if not once you have rated my answer I would like to schedule a free follow up with you to see how things are going. If you feel you need help with a new problem please contact me via this link and ask your question. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/ Referrals to friends and family are welcomed and appreciated.

Temperament Testing Puppies
http://www.volhard.com/pages/pat.php

The clicker costs about 3 dollars in a pet store and invest in a treat bag for your belt because the reward has to come right after the click sound. If you find that the sound is frightening to the dog then use your voice as a marker such as "yes" keep it to one word

Clicker training/positive method training
http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Hi Leah,
I am just checking in to see how things are going with Rascal.

Sally