Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years
53976849

My husband just told me he doesnt think I play with my dog

My husband just told me he doesnt think I play with my dog enough. We walk him atleast twice a day and he goes to day care once a week. I play with him some but I dont have a dedicated time to play. The only game he plays is catch. I never ignore him... I talk to him and pet him often. I just dont play as much as my husband thinks I should. How much dedicated play time should he get? Also, are there other games I can teach him?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome to the chat! I am Dr. Altman and am happy to answer your questions today

Dr. Altman :

Is Chase a Standard or Miniature Poodle? How long are your daily walks and are they fast paced walks or leisurely sniffing walks?

Dr. Altman :

Games to teach: obedience in the house, hide and seek with toys, you can even consider agility work if he is very agile which is a weekly class that is great for bonding and you work on the elements at home in between classes

Dr. Altman :

Dedicated time really does not have to be focused time only. It can be petting while watching television, different periods throughout the day making eye contact with each other, meal times

Customer:

Chase is a mini poodle. 10 pounds. We walk for 30-40 mins in the AM and about 15 mins in the evening. All at a leisurely pace.

Dr. Altman :

I think we all wish we could devote all of our free time to our beloved pets but it simply is not realistic and if Chase is happy and healthy and is not starved or pushing for constant attention you are doing the best you can.

Dr. Altman :

OK perhaps making the morning walk 50% fast paced will help

Customer:

Thanks for your help. I would love to play hide and seek. How do you get him to know thats what you are playing?

Dr. Altman :

The pace is not only for the cardiac aspect but it is also great for the mental stimulation versus sniffing and leisure

Customer:

ok

Dr. Altman :

You can start with a favorite toy and put it in the middle of the room and under a box. Let him see you place it there and then use a word for search. "Find it, seek, where's the toy" for example

Dr. Altman :

Then if he is having a hard time finding it you lift the edge a little and throw a party when he finds it

Customer:

simple enough. Thanks!

Dr. Altman :

As he learns the game and builds confidence you can hide in the yard, on chairs, under towels

Dr. Altman :

You can use your scent along the way by rolling the ball along the floor as a tracking technique

Customer:

?

Dr. Altman :

It does initially take some patience but my dogs are able to find it in different rooms, behind doors, etc

Dr. Altman :

What is your question regarding?

Customer:

oh... let them track the scent

Customer:

got it

Dr. Altman :

Yes, with either rolling it on your skin or the saliva on the ball...

Customer:

since I have you. I also want to potty train him to go indoors. for two reasons.

Dr. Altman :

That can be quite difficult in an adult dog

Customer:

#1- he pees too much

Customer:

hmm

Customer:

He drinks 2.5 cups of water a day

Customer:

so he has to go out often

Dr. Altman :

It took me over a year to teach my adult dog to use artificial turf indoors

Customer:

when he cant go out, he leaks on himself

Dr. Altman :

It might be worthwhile ruling out physical causes, checking a urine sample and kidney bloodwork

Dr. Altman :

Just to ensure this is not something that can be treated medically

Customer:

true. I just need to take him to the vet

Customer:

Thanks for your help!

Dr. Altman :

Yes, it would be best to rule out medical reasons

Customer:

ok

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions today?

Customer:

that will be all. Thanks. Good night

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Monet,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman