Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.

what makes a dog want to lick you all the time?

Hi there. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help you with your question today.

The answer is actually two fold:

First, dogs lick because their instincts tell them to. In a wild pack, puppies lick the mothers faces/mouths to get her to regurgitate food for them, and also as a sign of respect to an older dog.

Secondly, dogs lick humans for that same respect. As the human, you're the alpha dog (any human is) so the dog licks you to show respet.

Of coure, there's also a small part of the fact that a lot of our soaps/lotions/ect. can taste good to dogs, so it might be that they're tasting your skin because it's yummy.

But for the most part, it's respect.

I hope this helps.