Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years

What can I do for my Boxer, she is getting nervous around people

What can I do for my Boxer, she is getting nervous around people and barking at everything.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jacustomer,
.

My name is Jane. I have worked with animals professionally for over 17 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. .

.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

.

Is Socks spayed?

Can you describe what you mean when you say she is nervous around people?

When she was a puppy was she taken around a large number of people and allowed to socialize?

Has she ever been obedience trained?

By barking at everything, do you mean people and animals that may be nearby or is it worse, like barking at the TV, leaves, etc?

Does Socks have any known health issues?

If she isn't spayed, when was her last heat cycle?

.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes she has been spayed,when some come around the yard she barks and acts like she is going to bite them.She is bad with my husbands daughter and her family,but she is as gentle as can be with his sister.She was well socialized as a puppy.Never been to obedience school.She only barks at people,and when we have company she will set on the couch with me like she is afraid of them.No know health issues.

Thanks Phyllis

Phyllis,

.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. It might be possible that your girl is becoming a bit dominant as she has reached adulthood. The fact that you allow her on the furniture could have given her the idea that she is an equal in the household rather than a a submissive member. When dogs are on the same level physically as humans, they frequently do think they are equal or even higher than the humans.

.

When they do get this idea, they are more likely to become territorial and dominant. Since it is the dominant member who is the boss, and the boss who decides who gets to come into your territory and the bosses job to reprimand people who disobey, then she might feel it is her job to make those decisions and reprimand people she thinks don't belong.

.

Of course, it is possible she is afraid of them, but I do think it is a dominance issue. I am going to suggest some changes and I hope you try these. The first thing is to get her off the furniture. Keeping her on the floor can help lower her mentally back to a submissive position in the pack. So the first thing is to not allow her higher that the humans or even on the same level. Attach a leash and use it to remove her from the furniture. Give a correction in the form of a quick tug and firm "NO" when she attempts to get on and a treat when she starts not trying to get on the furniture. Thus you are providing negative reinforcement for the getting on the furniture and positive reinforcement for the desired behavior (not attempting to get on the furniture).

.

The other thing I think you need to do is to start obedience training with her. That will serve a couple of purposes. It will teach her to obey you the first time, every time. If she is fearful, it will help her gain self confidence since she will know what humans expect of her. It also reestablishes you as the boss and thus it is your decision who is welcome in the house and yard. Before you can get into classes, I am including a link to a very helpful site. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

.

Training is most effective if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

.

You will also want to keep a leash on her at all times initially to grab if she should disobey. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well your dog does with training. Dogs like knowing what is expected of them and they love the little paper thin slices of hotdogs that I use for treats while training.

.

For the barking, as crazy as it seems, you may want to teach the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after your dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands. Once she learns, you can command her to stop barking inappropriately. Over time, she will learn that alert barking (one or two barks) to let you know someone is there is fine, but once you acknowledge the person, she should stop.

http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

.

In addition, if the situation is not improving using the techniques I've provided, you may have to consult a professional behaviorist. You can usually find a behaviorist by asking your Vet for a recommendation or you may be able to find one using the following site.

http://www.apdt.com

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years