How To Keep Gnats Off My Dog?

Customer Question

What will keep gnats off of my dog's face and eyes. We are training in a field for Therapy Dogs International and the poor thing can't see because of all the gnats.

Category: Dog Training
Expert:  SObulldog replied 9 years ago.

There are a few products that are available on the internet and at feed stores or tack stores. They are mosquito and fly repellents that are in the form of a lotion that may be easier to apply. My only concern is that it is so close to the eyes that you would have to take extra care not to let anything get into the eyes as irritation and possible scratching can occur. I am going to send you a few links to the lotion so that you can find where to purchase it. Also Skin So Soft by Avon, applied in a small doses around the head, can work as well. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Pet Guard is listed on the page here :

Here are fly collars as well:

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. I tried Skin So Soft and it did not work. I also was able to purchase some pet guard and that did not work either. I only have a week left before Mandy and I take the test to become a therapy dog and the gnats are so distracting, all she does is swat them away and has trouble concentrating on the testing skills. Thanks for any more help you can offer.

Expert:  SObulldog replied 9 years ago.

Try SWAT. It is a horse and dog product to keep flies out of wounds and so forth. It is a paste and somewhat thick. You may be able to apply it around the eyes. Also try the collars that are listed on the website above. They may help as well. I wish I knew some other products but I can not think of any that may help. Hopefully either the SWAT or the collars will work for you. You can find the SWAT at any Tractor supply store or feed mill. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.