Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog I have been told may have a dislocated elbow. We

Customer Question

Hi, my dog I have been told may have a dislocated elbow. We can't see the specialist until 6/19 that is the first available. Would you be able to look at the X-ray and confirm what actually is wrong with my dog just so I can be prepared for it.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with I?
Customer: Please read my message
JA: Where does I seem to hurt?
Customer: She can't walk on her front left leg
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No there is not
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about I?
Customer: For a few weeks she has been limping and we were told it was a dislocated shoulder, this past Sunday she couldn't put pressure on the leg at all.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 days ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm looking at the X-rays now...

The elbow appears to be dislocated but the X-rays are difficult to evaluate as they've lost resolution when photographed and rendered in my browser.

i see no alterntive to having a specialist perform an open reduction of the elbow. I can't see if there are concomitant fractures, however, that would require additional surgery. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

errata: alterantive, not alterntive

alternative!!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can a closed reduction be done? I was told by a a specialist that it may not even be able to be operated on. They said they didn't see any fractures. If it isn't able to be operated on what then.

I don't see how a closed reduction is possible with what appears to be such severe displacement. The specialist isn't saying it can't be operated on but, instead, that the operation might not be successful in returning that joint to function; in other words, it might need to be "frozen" (ankylosed). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No the specialist said that medicines and therapy may be an only option. They haven't examined the dog in person yet because the next available appointment is 7/26. I actually had another specialist look at the X-rays and they had a totally different answer.

It sounds as if without a hands-on exam we're left not knowing what can be done. I'm handicapped by not being able to review diagnostic X-rays. That's not your fault; these X-rays just aren't readable in this forum.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I forgot to mention they also said it may be chronic. Either way is it something that can be fixed. The earliest appointment available is 7/19 with one specialist and another 7/26. The overall history was that my dog was limping for several weeks I took her to the vet 3 times at first we thought she stepped on something then it continued and we were told it was a dislocated shoulder and just needed rest, then this past Sunday she could walk on it. Not sure if more info helps. I am just waiting impatiently for answers from the specialist that can't be seen until Monday.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry this past Sunday she couldn't walk on her front left leg. It felt limp and she was falling m. Now it feels a bit more steady and she is trying to walk on it but can't. We carry her to go to bathroom and mainly have been letting her rest. She also doesn't seem to be in pain and is acting normal otherwise.

Chronicity makes surgical correction more difficult but not impossible. As for "fixed" that would be predicated upon how well the surgeon could return that joint to anatomical normalcy. That's a question that only the surgeon can answer and oftentimes only after the joint is opened and directly visualized.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?