Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Is this a paid service? One of my dogs (2) ate a 7 inch

Customer Question

Is this a paid service?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: One of my dogs (2) ate a 7 inch deflated balloon, whAt should I do?
JA: The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Both are 3 yrs of age I don't know which of the two consumed it
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Both?
Customer: Winston the male is being treated for low thyroid also be is on metacam and tramadol . Maitreya the female has no health issues
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Depending on your dogs' sizes this is a potential foreign body obstruction so I would advise inducing vomiting. If either of your dogs ingested this within the last few hours then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting then there are a few precautions we can take to hopefully minimize the risk of obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting without production of the ball please have a veterinarian evaluate your dog.

- Feed 2-3 pieces of bread now

- Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes

- In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through

- Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own if there is no initial vomiting with the peroxide.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 days ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your dogs after the ingestion of the balloon yesterday to see how they are both doing? I would love an update when you are able

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!