Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

He is a Pomeranian and stomach is hard and he's burped a

Customer Question

He is a Pomeranian and stomach is hard and he's burped a couple times and has not had a bowel movement yet today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Pomeranian's name?
Customer: Mufassa
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mufassa?
Customer: He has a history of getting blocked (no surgery intervention) just the green laxative stuff
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Mufassa who seems to have a firm belly and who has burped a few times today. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 days ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on here with Mufassa, but given his history of constipation/blockage, his symptoms could certainly relate to that here. Other possible causes include an early gastroenteritis, or even an internal organ issue, so you'll have to continue to keep a close eye on him. If you think giving some of his laxative now may assist, then do that now. Likewise, if you think he could be nauseous, then you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Also he is on a hydrologized protein vet prescribed food. He is in discomfort and weighs only 4.5 pounds.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 days ago.

Poor little guy! The hydrolysed diet is ideal for this situation, but you do need to make sure he is drinking enough if it is a dry diet. Often small breed dogs don't tend to drink enough, and on highly digestible diets like these, drinking plenty of water becomes even more important. Try to encourage him to have a good drink now, consider giving a little of the laxative and a little pepcid, and hopefully he improves.

Dr E

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He won't drink. Hell luck water off my fingers only
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Should I take him in?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 days ago.

Does he have a food allergy to anything? If not, you could try making up a fresh chicken broth for him. If he won't even touch that, then yes, you'd be best to take him in.

Dr E

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No alergies.. ok just clearly in bad discomfort
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 days ago.

Hopefully he'll go for a little chicken broth, and take the laxative ok. If he doesn't improve within the next hour, then please get him seen.

All the best,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 days ago.

Hopefully he has had something to drink by now? If not - do get him seen now.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc