Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I think my dog 12 pounds ate a piece of plastic 1/2 inch? He

Customer Question

I think my dog 12 pounds ate a piece of plastic 1/2 inch? He ran off with it and when I did get him and pried open his mouth I could not find it. He has eaten since..dinner ect.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Plato age 18 months. It is night now...should I wait until morning and keep an eye on him...he is playful ect.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Plato?
Customer: no...should I give him some milk
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 days ago.

1- Any sharp edges in the plastic?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
possible came a plastic egg flopper..perhaps
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 days ago.

As you may already know the concern is the plastic becoming obstructed in the intestinal tract. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the sharp edge can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the plastic out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check his stool for the next 48 hours, if you do not find the plastic I would have him checked by your vet for x-rays with barium.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 days ago.
Hi Frances,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter