Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Just came home my two labs got into a 3 gallon compost bag I

Customer Question

Just came home my two labs got into a 3 gallon compost bag I had left on the counter. I found pieces of the garbage but not the bag? Should I be worried or do something
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: how do i get to him?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Do I need to be concerned about the dogs eating the 3 gallon compost bag? they seem to be fine but it just happened in the last hour. I just got home.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: They do not seem to be hurting, I am trying to be proactive about whether eating the bag will cause problems
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: there two dogs involved. One male weighs 75 and older female weighs 64 they are in good health
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How long since they ate it?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
about an hour. no i don't
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Can you pick up peroxide 3% within the hour in your local pharmacy?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i can find one yes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what do i do with peroxide
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

The concern would be a possible obstruction. The good news is that they are big dogs so it is very likely they could pass the bag in the stool. I would try to make them vomit with hydrogen peroxide 3%. To induce vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Give them each 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow them to walk for a minute and move their belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If they do not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If they do not vomit or you do not see the bag in the vomit change their diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the bag in the feces. Make sure you check their feces; if you do not find the bag within 48 hours I would have them checked by your vet for x-rays with barium.

4- If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe them and change their diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter