Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Two of my dogs started retching yesterday and this morning.

Customer Question

two of my dogs started retching yesterday and this morning. Are the sick with something?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: sounds like hiccups that turn into a retch. Haven't seen her expell anything
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she is not her normal active self. She is very quiet. No not hurt, she stays inside, the other stays in the back yard.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is this new behavior?
Customer: yes,,, just noticed it when we got home from work. the outside dog started doing this yesterday about the same time
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she is about 4 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about snookie?
Customer: no, nothing i can think of. she is usually running around and active
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear your dogs are unwell, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Where these sort of symptoms are sudden onset I would not be at all surprised if your dogs are not in the early stages of an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough and we seem to be in a major outbreak of this disease at present. However where a dog is coughing like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description it does sound a bit like kennel cough. Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines and this disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

As kennel cough would be a " front runner " I will tell you what I know about it ...

2. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a seal honk or a cat trying to move a hairball.

3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it may be productive, she will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once she has done this she will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening.

4. If this is the diagnosis then it is not normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and will normally make her feel better very quickly. For this reason if symptoms continue my advice would be to have your vet check your dog over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnosis would then be possible such as heart disease or lower tract respiratory disease.

5. If kennel cough turns out to be the diagnosis then there is unfortunately little you can do to make your dog more comfortable on a home remedy basis. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if either of your your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dogs are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning their retching ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?