Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I think my mastiff dog ate a mothball. Can a lab test

Customer Question

I think my mastiff dog ate a mothball. Can a lab test determine if he did?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your mastiff will be able to digest that. What is the mastiff's name and age?
Customer: Bob. three yearsbold
JA: How old is Bob?
Customer: 3 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bob?
Customer: 110 pds. Can you give me an answer on lab work to test for mothballs, like blood test?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, urine can be submitted to a laboratory for isolation of naphthalene and its metabolites - a common ingredient in mothballs. I'm not aware of such testing for paradichlorobenzene (PBD) - another common ingredient in mothballs but a commercial lab should be able to advise in that regard. We can also look for the tell-tale signs of toxicity - anemia, Heinz bodies (abnormal structures in red blood cells), evidence of hemolysis (red blood cell destruction), azotemia (toxins in the blood due to failed kidneys), liver enzyme elevation, hyperbilirubinemia (increased bilirubin serum levels), and changes in a urinalysis - hemoglobinura (hemoglobin in the urine), and isosthenuria - a range of specific gravity in the urine indicating that the kidneys can't either dilute or concentrate the urine properly (if underlying renal injury).

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?