Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a St Bernard, 3 years old, she is having runny stools

Customer Question

I have a St Bernard, 3 years old, she is having runny stools and throwing up these past two days. She is not eating but does drink
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I don't think so. She only eats her food, no table scraps, just her dry dog food
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Libby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Libby?
Customer: She is very healthly and just had her annual done and everything was fine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry that no one picked up your question sooner.

Does your girl eat any non food items like raw hides, bones, jerky treats, etc?

Could she have gotten into a toxin or garbage?

When was her last meal?

What color are her gums?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As far as i know she has not gotten into anything and she does not get raw hide or bones. I did get her to eat a little this afternoon. gums look normal to me
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information. It is possible that she has a simple virus that usually will end in 34 to 36 hours. Normally for this we fast them for 24 hours before feeding them ,and it seems that she has not eaten in a while so you may be able to start a bland diet tonight. Give some boiled chicken and cooked white rice. Give a couple of table spoons to start, wait 4 hours and if she holds that down you can give her a few more tablespoons.

Then you can start adding in the regular dog food with the bland diet.

If this does not help, if she vomits it up then you will need to get her in for an exam.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive