Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a terrier mix she had 6 puppies last night. They have

Customer Question

I have a terrier mix she had 6 puppies last night. They have flees also mommy has to breast that are very large compared to the other ones is that normal. Lc
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?
Customer: Fleese
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: I don't think they are hurting but the flees could hurt them right
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the puppy eating normally?
Customer: I think so they are really fat
JA: OK. No appetite problems. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: Only two of her boobs are over sized
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Has Daisy been treated for fleas at all? What did you use?

You noted two breast is large, but are they sore or hot to the touch?

Does the milk look the same as that from the other breasts?

Will the pups nurse from it?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
We used a collar which we bought from Walmart. Frontline I think. Breast not hot puppies seem to nurse just fine on all breast. Milk looks the same from all boobs. When she got pregnant we did not get her a new one a friend said she could lose the puppies if we bought her a new one.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.

Hello again,

If the larger breasts are comfortable, not hot, and have similar appearing milk, then this isn't a worry. It just sounds like the two glands are possibly being nursed more and in response are making more milk. If we wanted to reduce that we may just need to limit the pups' access to those breasts and encourage them to use the others more. So, that isn't a worry here.

Otherwise, the fleas are a much bigger worry as they can actually cause anemia and serious harm to pups. Now they are too young for us to treat with any flea treatments yet, but you can flea comb the pups and dip the fleas into dish soap to kill them. As well, you may need to think about treating the house (removing mum and pups while doing so) with a flea product containing insect growth factor (so we kill larvae/eggs too) to just get rid of them in the house and thus lessen the threat to the pups. And once they are 2 days old, you can use Frontline spray (not spot on though) to protect them from those fleas here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )