Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I have a 10 lb 2 yo mini doxie. He is a rescue dog that was

Customer Question

.I have a 10 lb 2 yo mini doxie. He is a rescue dog that was badly abused, and had a bad case of heart worms. After a strong treatment they are gone. However, vet told me it appears the treatment, or worms may have weakened, or damaged the heart. He has been exposed to mold twice, and it looks like this is round 3. Symptoms are bouts of labored breathing triggered by activity. Basically the "dry heaves" like he is trying to get something out....but nothing comes out. Last two times vet treated with Prednisone 5 mg, and Zeniquin 25 mg. Zeniquin appears to cause neurological problems? Since first treatment with zeniquin he occasionally goes limp, sprawls out on the floor, and loses bladder control. Within a couple of minutes he is ok again? He never shows signs of pain, distress, or loses consciousness. I have been doing some research and it appears Voriconazole is the best choice with the least side effects? On the financial side, I am still 3k in debt from the last 8 mos of his vet bills, plus all the work I have missed. Any help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot? Customer: You Hi Doctor Andy, I have a 10 lb 2 yo mini doxie. He is a rescue dog that was badly abused, and had a bad case of heart worms. After a strong treatment they are gone. However, vet told me it appears the treatment, or worms may have weakened, or damaged the heart. He has been exposed to mold twice, and it looks like this is round 3. Symptoms are bouts of labored breathing triggered by activity. Basically the "dry heaves" like he is trying to get something out....but nothing comes out. Last two times vet treated with Prednisone 5 mg, and Zeniquin 25 mg. Zeniquin appears to cause neurological problems? Since first treatment with zeniquin he occasionally goes limp, sprawls out on the floor, and loses bladder control. Within a couple of minutes he is ok again? He never shows signs of pain, distress, or loses consciousness. I have been doing some research and it appears Voriconazole is the best choice with the least side effects? On the financial side, I am still 3k in debt from the last 8 mos of his vet bills, plus all the work I have missed. Any help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. JA: What is the dog's name? Customer: Rikkie JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rikkie? Customer: yes let him know I am a slow typist

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 1 month ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

You might try switching to doxycycline antibiotic it has anti inflammatory effects to the lungs.

Some dogs can be more sensitive to zeniquin than others.

Voriconazole is a anti fungal do you have evidence to support putting him on it? I know you said exposed to mold but most commonly we would see other symptoms like nasal discharge and blood work changes and chest X-ray changes.

I would try doxycycline (anti biotic). and a medication called cerenia that is good for lung inflammation (it is labeled for anti nausea but has an anti inflammatory pathway) so we would be using it for the anti inflammatory pathway.

Does it sound like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XkLqa9XK9k

Did you have a chance to listen to the video to see if what your dog is doing sounds like that?