Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My mum in laws dog hasn't been eating for two months he's

Customer Question

Hey there my mum in laws dog hasn't been eating for two months he's drinks and if he eats he tends to throw it up..he is still walking waging tail etc and blood test from vet said he was ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No? He walk fine..he spews up bial
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Duke
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?
Customer: No not that I know of
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How old is Duke?

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Did the vet do any other tests?

What treatments has he been on?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Duke is 8
Only brings up Biall unless he ate food then he brings it back up
Treatments: naroclav and Cecelia
Tests: bloods
Gums are pink
No pain on belly
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He does eat bones a lot
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

Good morning,

Now I am quite concerned about Duke.

While its good his vet has ruled out organ issues with bloods, for him to be vomiting and unable to eat for months is serious. It raises worries of a chronic bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, stomach ulcer, partially obstructing foreign body (the bones being a worry), IBD or even cancer.

So, in this case and since the Cerenia isn't managing this, we need his vet looking into this further. Therefore, besides bloods, we'd want them potentially xraying, ultrasounding or scoping his gut to narrow down the above concerns.

Any delay and she at least try adding in an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)] to his treatment. As well, we can put him on small meals of a light/easily digestible diet (ie white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). Or since it sounds like food is a real struggle but that he may be able to take fluids; she could try offering or syringe feeding watered down Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or canned puppy food. There are also liquid diets like Dogsure or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. that could be used. All of these are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and could help get some nutrition into him and keep him from wasting away. As well, she could try adding some canned pumpkin to this to just try and push any foreign material through the gut.

Overall, with how long Duke has had these signs, this is a real concern and the above would be our main worries at this stage. Therefore, we can add in the above supportive care to try to stabilize him but ideally we'd want further diagnostics to visualize the gut and check for the above concerns. Because if we can pinpoint which is present here, we can target treatment to try to get this settled for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )