How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 27929
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just realized my dog got in the trash and ate some grapes

Customer Question

Hi! Just realized my dog got in the trash and ate some grapes last night. Now I am seeing he only ate about half of the amount of food and water he normally eats during the day. He is not lethargic. Should I take him into the vet to get checked?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brodi and he is about 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brodi?
Customer: Not that I am aware of, he is a rescue. We have had him about 4 months.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

How much does Brodi weight and how many grapes could he have ingested? It takes ~ a half of a grape per pound of body weight before I would consider grape toxicity and this toxicity is idiosyncratic (peculiar); in other words, most dogs can ingest grapes to theirheart's content without harm.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He ate between 10-15 and weighs about 65-70 pounds.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

We can rule out grape toxicity, then. He would have needed to ingest at least 35 grapes for that to be a concern. I would be concerned that he found something else in the trash that has caused gastrointestinal distress. Because he has eaten - albeit less than usual - you're justified in continuing to monitor him. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok will do. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions