Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Are dried hibiscus flowers toxic to dogs? Dried up hibiscus

Customer Question

Are dried hibiscus flowers toxic to dogs?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Dried up hibiscus flower
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He is a 6lb chihuahua yorkie mix
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 14 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok, thank you!

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good news, Hibiscus is listed as not toxic on the ASPCA poisonous plants database, so the chances are that your dog will be just fine. Please follow this link to confirm this information : LINK

2. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Dr.
Some websites say they said the ASPSCA site says certain varieties are toxic. So I am a bit confused. The flower he ate was all dried up so I was wondering if a dried flower can be just as toxic as fresh flowers (if the flower is listed as toxic)?

Please check the image on the link I gave but certainly Hibiscus Syriacus would be unlikely to cause any problem.

The question of toxicity with dried flowers is variable, some plants retain their toxicity when dried, others do not.

I think the best plan is just to keep an eye on your dog for present.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My neighbor has several different color hibiscus plants and one flew into our yard. My dog got ahold of it and before I could catch him, he ate it.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will keep an eye on him and hopefully it won't cause any issues.

The chances are he will be OK, but keep a good eye on him anyway ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 13 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the dried Hibiscus flowers ..

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Dr.,
He is doing good. It's actually my other dog that is having stool issues. I did take her to the vet this morning so I am hoping it will resolve within the next couple days. Thank you!

So glad things worked out regarding the Hibiscus ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?