Sean Egan
Sean Egan,
Experience:  Owner/Veterinarian at Egan Fife Animal Hospital
98381030

I have two chocolate labs. One is allergic to the chlorine

Customer Question

I have two chocolate labs. One is allergic to the chlorine in the pool. I have talked to people who say to drain and clean the pool and start using Bromine tablets instead. Is this safe for my dog? Both dogs are in the pool constantly and I work so I am not at home to wash them off. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: Canyon is constantly scratching to the point of loosing hair under his neck. He is constantly biting and scratching.
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Canyon, 4 years old. He is allergic to chlorine and I need to know if I can change to bromine. I heard it was much safer for the dog.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Canyon?
Customer: Not really, its just the itching and biting after being in the pool. Otherwise he is extremely healthy. Just had a great check up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sean Egan replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I’ll be happy to answer your question about Canyon.

A pop-up screen may appear asking if you would like a phone call. Please click NO, as I cannot take phone calls.

There is no difference in toxicity/safeness from chlorine to bromine. They both have the same chemical profile and are safe to use in the diluted amounts used in a swimming pool. If he is allergic to chlorine, he may also be allergic to bromine, but it's worth a try.

Expert:  Sean Egan replied 1 month ago.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you have any further questions, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.