Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 2 dogs ate a half ear of corn of the cob from my

Customer Question

My 2 dogs ate a half ear of corn of the cob from my grandsons plate one dog is 65 lbs the other is 13 lbs What should I do this was 2 hrs ago they act alright right now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Vic is 65lbs mixed breed rot/beagle/ lab and Polly is 13lb shitzzu breed
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Vic?
Customer: I don't believe so there just laying on floor acting tired but that's normal as they have been outside playing all day
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If the dog concerned thoroughly chewed up the corn cob into small fragments and swallowed the fragments then the chances are that this would cause no problem and the fragments should just pass through his or her intestinal tract over the next 48 hours.

2. The danger lies when they swallow a corn cob or a larger portion of corn cob whole as in my experience this is a fairly common cause of intestinal tract blockage which is a serious situation which usually requires abdominal surgery. You would be therefor wise to monitor your dogs for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your local vet without delay if you become concerned.

3. If you are not certain on the above then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the cob that way. If you can do this immediately then you may possibly be able to recover larger portions of cob. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if either of your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If this happened almost 3hrs ago should I give the hydrogen peroxide to be on the safe side

It would do no harm to try the peroxide and it may perhaps help, but usually this method of inducing vomiting is usually successful if carried out within the first hour after ingestion, two hours at the absolute outside ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dogs are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the corn cob incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gave the peroxide to both dogs the one Vic 70lbs vomited within 15 minutes the smallest that's 13lbs vomited this morning over 12 hours later Both seem fine Thank you so much!!! You were very helpful. I will definitely recommend your help to others

Brilliant, well done, that sounds very encouraging ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?