Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 8 mo old chocolate lab was fetching the ball today and

Customer Question

My 8 mo old chocolate lab was fetching the ball today and experienced weakness/paralysis in his hind legs. Lasted about 15 minutes. Once we got him to the vet, his symptoms subsided. Waiting on lab work. Any ides why the transient weakness?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Vet looked him over well. No wounds on the feet. And it was both legs.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Holden, 8 mos.
JA: How old is Holden?
Customer: 8 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Holden?
Customer: no. He is an active, healthy pup.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Please talk to Holden's vet about exercise-induced collapse in Labrador retrievers. This is a common, breed-associated inherited neurologic disorder causing weakness and inability to stand and walk during or following strenuous physical activity. Affected dogs are typically normal except for episodes of collapse which lasts for 5-20 minutes. Dogs appear clinically normal once recovered. Treatment is nonspecific and supportive when an episode occurs. There is a DNA test for the dynamin-1 gene mutation responsible for this disorder. The prognosis is excellent for a normal life if participation in trigger activites can be limited.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Our vet mentioned this. She did some lab work. Results tomorrow.

Your vet's on the ball! I would be pleased to review any lab work you could upload to our conversation. Please continue our conversation if you wish.