How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 27466
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went out for an hour. I left a big chocolate chip cookie

Customer Question

I went out for an hour. I left a big chocolate chip cookie with pink frosting on the sink. My yorkie jumped up on the sink and may have licked the cake and frosting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: i found him on the sink and the cake was on the floor so I don't think he got too much.
JA: How old is I?
Customer: he had never climbed on the sink before. I didn't think he could. I am so upset. He is acting normally right now.will he be ok?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about I?
Customer: He is 2 1/2
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 15 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 15 days ago.

As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but your Yorkie wasn't intoxicated. Our primary concern is the dark chocolate in the chips but it takes almost 1/3 of an ounce of pure dark chocolate per pound of body weight to intoxicate a dog with the thebromine in chocolate which can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors soon after ingestion and for a few hours afterward. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.