Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

I have 6 week old puppies with loose stools. What can i give

Customer Question

I have 6 week old puppies with loose stools. What can i give them to help with this?
Thank You
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 11 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your puppies' troubles. It is not uncommon for some loose stools to develop as puppies are transitioning to different food and starting to be weaned from their mother. The stress and change in diet can disrupt the normal GI bacteria which throws off the production of normal stools. Sometimes all they need is some probiotics to help restore the natural flora. There are many probiotic products available specifically for dogs. Fortiflora is one that you can mix in with their puppy food, but plain yogurt can work as well. You can give them 1/2-1 tsp of plain yogurt once to twice per day and they will usually readily eat it.

If they still have loose stools after 2-3 days on a probiotic then it would be time to see a vet to rule out other causes. Make sure that they stay hydrated and you can also try feeding them a little boiled rice with their puppy food to help solidify the stools.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr-Bonk