Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Just trying to figure out what a tiny black bump on the dogs

Customer Question

just trying to figure out what a tiny black bump on the dogs nose is. perfectly round. have photos.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: roxy, 15
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about roxy?
Customer: no. cranky old lady. live in conifer, co
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'd be pleased to look at the photos. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
going to try the "add files" link below...should be pretty high res - zoom in to see black spot. it's raised. can't tell if its a bug/tick/etc or if its just a tiny scab. I think the white circle on the one photo is just a reflection.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

This appears to be a tiny melanocytoma - the benign form of melanoma. It can be simply monitored. The general rule is to remove anything that enalrges at an alarming rate (doubles in size in a few months, e.g.), ulcerates, bleeds, or bothers my patient or caretaker. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, thanks. As mentioned, she's an old broad. We'll keep an eye on it.

Another reason just to monitor this. I don't expect anything exciting to come of it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.