Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our 50 pound dog ate within the last couple of hours, we

Customer Question

our 50 pound dog ate within the last couple of hours, we think, probably
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ollie is 2. We think she age anywhere from 4-6 ounces of milk chocolate
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ollie?
Customer: No - except she eats everything!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Mary, 4-6 ounces of milk chocolate will not be life-threatening to Ollie; she may vomit or get diarrhea otherwise she will be fine. I would keep an eye on her for the next 24 hours, if she vomits or gets diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Symptoms that would require an ER vet visit are abdominal swelling, pale gums, hyperactivity, muscle tremors, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Hi Mary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter