Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

About 4 days ago my dog was chasing a turkey down our back

Customer Question

Hello there about 4 days ago my dog was chasing a turkey down our back yard and then he came back and it was limping and holding his back foot up.I took him to the vet the other day and the vet thinks that he has a cruciate ligament rupture.I won't ld like to know that can this come good on it's own at all as he's been holding his back foot up now for 4 days and he puts it down a tiny bit every now and then.Please help
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 days ago.

I am sorry to hear Bear may have a cruciate ligament rupture. How big a dog is Bear?

These ligaments do not heal back together; once they are torn, they stay torn. Small dogs, however, will develop scar tissue and often get almost full use of the leg back, although they will have arthritis in the leg and there is increased risk of the ligament in the opposite leg also rupturing.

Bigger dogs tend not to do so well without treatment. They eventually use the leg but the knee usually is swollen, painful, and arthritic. Then if the opposite cruciate tears, they really have trouble getting around.

Surgery, stem cell injections, platelet rich plasma injections, and prolotherapy are recommended. Doing nothing will probably lead to his always being lame on that leg, if he is a large dog.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My dog is only small and only weighs 6 kgs. The vet has given him a inflammtory injection. So will that help to get him to use that leg again.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 days ago.

It may help to continue him on anti inflammatory medication. I would also consider injection of hyaluronic acid, or Adequan to help that joint heal. Fish oil is a natural anti inflammatory, and glucosamine may be helpful.

If there is a veterinarian doing rehabilitation work in your area, physical therapy might be helpful.

I would also consider prolotherapy, platelet rich plasma or stem cell injections.

How old is he?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He is 8 years old and will the inflammatory help for him to walk on that foot again.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 days ago.

I can't guarantee the anti inflammatory will help him walk on the foot again, but it probably will help. It may take some time. Rehab, prolotherapy, and the other treatments I mentioned may help him use the leg sooner than anti inflammatory medicine alone.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 days ago.

The anti inflammatory would be more likely to help if you initially rest him, and then gradually start controlled exercise, leash walking only at first.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 days ago.

If he runs around as soon as he starts to feel better, healing will not be as good, he will likely have more arthritis in the knee as he heals.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 days ago.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have, and how he is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 day ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bear. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 17 hours ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you. Please let me know if this was helpful and how Bear is doing.