Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Shelby has collapsing trachea, enlarged heart, and is

Customer Question

Shelby has collapsing trachea, enlarged heart, and is currently suspected of having asthma also. meds taking are enalapril, lasix, theo-dur. Shelby is 15 yo jack russel and i feel that she may/could benefit from direct oxygen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about russel?
Customer: no she of course coughs constantly
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Shelby. Her therapy as it stands appears to be reasonable but the lack of an antitussive (cough suppressant) is glaring. Coughing leads to irritation or damage to the tracheal epithelium and must be controlled. Hydrocodone, butorphanol, or diphenoxylate with atropine should be onboard such a patient. I like the idea of supplemental oxygen when needed but should that be the case most patients are ill enough to be hospitalized in an oxygen cage. There are portable oxygen cages (large plastic bags, usually) and masks that her vet can prescribe and which can be found online, however.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.